Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Finally got a chance to get out of town with my new to me Trooper and it was great. Ran great, drives straight and doesn't make any weird noises. I went camping up in the mountains and I slept in the back. It was a last minute trip so all I did was pull the rear seats out and pile up camping pads to sleep on. I'm 6'4" and I just fit back there.

IMG_20111015_080041.jpg

IMG_20111015_080005.jpg

So another last minute trip fell in to my lap. Moab! Heading out tomorrow night. I got a stock truck with street tires but since it's my first visit I am certain I will have fun just checking the place out.

I spent this evening working up a quick and cheap solution for sleeping. All I need is a flat surface so I got a sheet of wood and cut it to fit.

IMG_20111018_165918.jpg

I plan on strapping my camping gear and tools down but I still wanted to help things stay in place a little better so I bought the cheapest outdoor carpet home depot had and I glued it down. Still have to finish the edges but it looks decent.

IMG_20111018_184140.jpg

A few more things (oil change, etc) to do tomorrow and I am heading out. If anyone has any suggestions for trails I should check out please let me know. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Looks good. Do you have some of the magnetic window screens for sleeping in the truck? http://www.magnascreen.com/

As far as trails, looks like no lift, right? Do you have the Charles Wells guide book? That is like the bible for trails. The Shafer Trail switchbacks are cool, not technically difficult, but a real pucker factor. Top of the World is excellent. You could probably do Fins 'n Things, which is super fun (just make sure everything is secured inside your vehicle, so you don't find something under your brake pedal when you need brakes most), although a little lift helps here mostly for approach/departure angles. Really, there is a ton of trails out there, I've just named a few.

If you weren't aware, there is an Isuzu gathering in May every year in Moab, you should come down for that too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're right, I don't have any lift on my Trooper. It's bone stock. Thanks for the list of trails. I am definitely doing Fins 'n Things and Top of the World. I'll have about 2 1/2 days to wheel so hopefully I can get a few more in as well. The Charles Wells guide book is something I wanted to buy on Amazon but I didn't have enough time for it to get here. This is such a last minute trip. Hopefully there is a place in Moab I can buy it.

I finished up my cheap sleeping and storage platform and I'm pretty happy with the results. Hopefully it's a little more comfortable than the uneven floor was.

IMG_20111019_150946.jpg

Can't wait to get on the road!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Moab was incredible! Thank you BigSwede for the trail advice. I ended up driving Potash Rd., Lathrop Canyon, White Rim, Fins 'n Things, Dome Plateau and Onion Creek. Best 3 days I've had in forever. I even ran into Chris (Marlin) and his cool Proton VX(not yellow, I'm learning). I bought my Trooper less than a month ago and all I've done to it is change the oil. Nothing like shaking down a new purchase by driving it 9 hours to Moab, trail riding for 3 days and then driving all night back home and having the truck run perfect. I was told welcome to the addiction when I joined this board and I totally get it now. I'm addicted.

I have a ton of pics so it will probably take me a few posts tonight and tomorrow to get them uploaded

IMG_20111026_181735.jpg

IMG_20111020_122355.jpg

IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5124.JPG

IMG_5125.JPG

More pics next post...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
There's the Trooper I wish I had! :)

Cool Trip to Moab. Excited to see the rest of the pix. :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Damn.
Those are some spectacular pics! I wish I lived near there...
It's amazing how capable stock troopers are. I just took a trip to an offroad park and she was keeping up just fine with my friends lifted jeep- mine has a/t tires but no susp mods
Glad you had fun!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Very nice.

Some years ago some folks from the east coast flew out and drove a rented Trooper on a bunch of trails, including some fairly difficult ones. They are very capable stock! Although a little lift helps a lot...

I wheeled my 93 RS Trooper pretty hard, did trails like Golden Spike, Moab Rim, etc., and when you think about it it was pretty stock. Sure it had a modest lift, lockers, and gears, but it had stock axles and drivetrain, even the original U-joints. The only upgraded parts were the rear axle links and the tie rods. You would have to replace a ton of stuff on a stock Wrangler (unless it is a Rubicon) in order to do the same trails I did.

I have been to Moab 10 times now, and will keep going back. By no means have I seen it all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
94Rodayo4x4 said:
There's the Trooper I wish I had! :)

Cool Trip to Moab. Excited to see the rest of the pix. :D
Thanks Taylor. I really like this Trooper. I feel I got kind of lucky finding this one. So well maintained!

streetersam said:
Damn.
Those are some spectacular pics! I wish I lived near there...
It's amazing how capable stock troopers are. I just took a trip to an offroad park and she was keeping up just fine with my friends lifted jeep- mine has a/t tires but no susp mods
Glad you had fun!
I couldn't agree with you more. A stock Trooper can do some really great trail riding. The hitch really saved me a number of times when the back banged on the drops. The only other scraping I did was the front tow hook scraped a few times on really steep approaches. Ok, all the skid plates have marks on them but that's what they are there for. Go to Moab! Especially in October. The weather was perfect and most of the trails were empty.

BigSwede said:
Very nice.

Some years ago some folks from the east coast flew out and drove a rented Trooper on a bunch of trails, including some fairly difficult ones. They are very capable stock! Although a little lift helps a lot...

I wheeled my 93 RS Trooper pretty hard, did trails like Golden Spike, Moab Rim, etc., and when you think about it it was pretty stock. Sure it had a modest lift, lockers, and gears, but it had stock axles and drivetrain, even the original U-joints. The only upgraded parts were the rear axle links and the tie rods. You would have to replace a ton of stuff on a stock Wrangler (unless it is a Rubicon) in order to do the same trails I did.

I have been to Moab 10 times now, and will keep going back. By no means have I seen it all.
BigSwede, I wouldn't have thought my stock truck could go on Fins 'N' Things had you not told me to go for it. Isuzu did a really nice job! I do want to replace the U-joints soon. It feels like a little to much play when shifting from forward to reverse. I could use some advice on which ones to get. I am definitely going back as soon as I can. 9 hours is close enough for such an amazing place. Really glad to hear you've been there 10 times and you haven't seen it all

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
wow, man that looks like it was a lot of fun. hope i can go next year with the group. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeremy_worden said:
wow, man that looks like it was a lot of fun. hope i can go next year with the group. :D
Jeremy, you gotta go! I need to go with the group too. It's my new favorite place to visit. I've only lived in Idaho for a few months after living in Florida forever and I need to find some fun trails I can go on with my truck in stock form. Hopefully you have some advice for me on where to go in Idaho. I would like to take a trip or two before the snow starts to really fly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts