Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question about Weight...

is there a difference in weight if you have a 15" rim with 33's or an 18" rim with 33's?

does anyone know if there is a weight difference? if so which way is the lighter of the two....

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
If the rims are made from the same material then I would think the taller rim would be heavier.

Now if the 15" rim was steel and the 18" was aluminum then the smaller one should be heavier.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In order to know for sure, you would have to have the weights of each individual item and just do the math (or have all the items and a scale...) Not all 18" rims are built the same, so weight will vary by rim design. I would have to presume that an 18" rim and tire would weigh more than a 15" rim of the same material and design with a same circumference and model tire. The sidewall of the tire would be the only trade for aluminum, and I think aluminum rim weighs more than tire sidewall.

Just a guess.... :D

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I think your splitting hairs. There are SSSOOOO many variables it's not funny. Take Interco's site for example, a 35x12.50-15 Trxus MT weighs 66lbs and the 35x12.50-18 weighs 72lbs, but the difference aren't just the diameter of the tire, the 15" tire has 6ply tread and 2 ply sidewall, the 18" version has 10ply tread and 3ply sidewall. Then different manufactures tires have different weights etc. A 15" aluminum rim and tire combo in MOST cases will probably be lighter though. The General Grabber AT in the same size (35x12.50) only has a 1lb difference between them (15-18) but the rim should be lighter. My 15x6 steel wheels and 34" tires weigh over 90lbs a piece together.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RamAirZ said:
I think your splitting hairs.
LOL...do you know me to do anything without overthinking?...lol I think youre right man....I can honestly say i havent been more undecisive about a project until turning my street buggy into a Wolf for offroad'n.

I figd id see if there was nay major weight diff to sway me one way or another.....but the tires im looking at, none of which are 10ply, so as youre saying splitting hairs..... :)

Thanks for all the help people...i know i can be a pain in the *** with all my questions...i cant help it, it just comes naturally to me :roll:

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
LOL chuck ok now you are REALLY splitting hairs here

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Unless you are using very light forged or magnesium wheels. Than the wheels are heavier. That's why braking often goes out the window on vehicles with dub's. Those huge wheels add so much weight that it's like putting on huge off road tires. Both need bigger and better brakes.

I got thnking about the dumbness of all the new vehicles going with large diameter rims the other day. I beleive the reason that all the manufacturers have jumped on the band wagon is liability. Yeah they can tighten up the handling slightly but I think it has to do with rollovers. After the Ford Exploder fiasco they got worried about rollovers. It seems to me if you have a 31" tires on a 15" rim and a 31" tire on a 18" rim. in a blowout situation with the 18" wheel The vehicle will not have as far to "fall" if the tire fails. This would keep down on the forces that cause drivers to over react and set up a rollover situation.

I don't have any data to prove this just my feeling based on what happens on bicycles at speed when a tire blows out. Of course the other deal is brakes. The brakes these days are so much less effective they have to put huge rotors on to get the same or better braking.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Squatch...I think you're onto something.

Personally though...don't think I'd want an 18" rim, those tires are VERY expensive.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
He already has the 18" aluminum wheels so basically he was debating if he should buy tires for his current wheels or just go with a new set-up. As for the larger wheels on newer vehicles, the larger brakes is a big reason and on some vehicles they use larger calipers AND rotors for better braking performance. Mind you these vehicles are actually performance oriented. I hate that my Sierra can't fit a 15" wheel without a spacer because of the large rear rotors. The stock 20's on my truck weighed about the same as these 22's I currently have, the 20's were chromed steel and these are chromed aluminum. I think the manufacturers also do it because of "style", so many people want bigger wheels and to look "cool". I only went with mine because they were free and the tires were new, I'm going to be getting rid of them soon and putting some flakes on it :D

·
Registered
646 Posts
on the explorers i figured it was how low the pressure they recomended for the tires like 25 psi, that is wayyyy to low for a onroad top heavy suv

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.