Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Direction to go with the RS

• Sell it to me!

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Drive it as is, preserve it, it's a classic!

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Put the V6 in.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • v8 it!

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Sell your other parts and do the diesel.

Votes: 9 36.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have the RS sitting at Jerry's house. I am on the fence about it right now. I really don't need it but I really like it. It's in terrific shape body wise (California truck). Runs but has an intake leak. I have fixed some stuff and collected parts for it over the past couple of years. Parts include: New head gasket, new radiator, new slave cylinder, new clutch master cylinder, asian hubs, calmini lift, roof rack, auxilary lighting, tube bumpers, OEM flares. Probably some other stuff too, can't remember.

Main thing is money. I do the work on my trucks with fun money only so until I get older, my spending is limited. I'm spread pretty thin between the Rodeo and other stuff plus my wife is harping on me about all the stuff she considers junk..... :D

So I have some ideas.

Sell it and use the money to fund other projects. I have about $2800.00 in it and would want to get my money back out of it.

It runs and I can drive it but It still needs some work to fix the idle. It is streetable so I could just drive it but I drive the Rodeo and don't really need another vehicle. I know it's a classic but it's not pristine either. Has about 140000 miles on it.

I have a Pickup with a 3.1 and 5 speed with a rusty frame. I was thinking of scraping it and cleaning up v6 and 5 speed to put in the RS. I have the Eldebrock Performer Intake already, all I'd really need is some Fiero valve covers to bling it out. Wiring harness from Pickup should work in the Trooper. Be kinda different and cool. I have the parts already and the Trooper is already sitting.

Then I also have a 5.7 crate engine sitting and waiting for a project. Also have the wiring harness and aftermarket gauges to go with it. If I could find a transmission transfer case combo. Maybe I could wedge it in the RS? Would take a lot of work but would be really cool. Probably be overkill though.

Last option and the one I really want to do is put the 2.8 or 3.1 Japanese diesel in it. That would require selling all my other stuff and getting the motor imported.

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
We're in the same boat. My RS is just sitting there right now too. I'm basically going to rebuild my whole top end and use it as my daily for a couple of years then sell it. I've got about about 120k on mine which for a first gen trooper is pretty low. I'm just going to try top keep it as nice and in as original condition as possible. A car dealer friend of ours told us that there are less than 50 of those things still registered in the U.S. I think all of your options are reasonable but if it's not hurting things, I'd try to hang on to it for a while.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Joe, you say you had a RS over at Jerry's place? Well, I was just there this past weekend and I didn't see it. Maybe you don't have to worry about it anymore. Hehe!

J/K!!!!!

My vote is to plan on a 3.1 or 2.8 diesel. I've changed directions with my Trooper and am going oil burner if I can find a half cut somewhere. :wink:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Isn't the 3.1 engine the GM engine everyone says is a turd? You should go with a 3.4, or a diesel would be cool too. That on 34x10.5 ltbs with ~3in lift and locked up would be pretty sweet.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
All I can say is that it sucks to have so many good options !!! Lol
If you scrapped the truck and saved the engine and trans that's not a bad way to go. And might make your wife feel good about getting rid of one rig... Gotta be sneaky lol !!!
I guess the question would be do you off road ?? Is it really worth your while at this point ???
My amigo build can make for a great off roader but it's my daily driver, Best of both worlds. And I don't really want to pummel it. You've got a great selection to choose from !!!
The V8 powered R'S would be a nice build !!! Can you symplify things and use the 3.1 wiring harnes and adapt it over to the v8 maybe ??? Just run a tbi and get away with the factory senders maybe ???? Poke poke idea idea !!!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
reran said:
Joe, you say you had a RS over at Jerry's place? Well, I was just there this past weekend and I didn't see it. Maybe you don't have to worry about it anymore. Hehe!

J/K!!!!!

My vote is to plan on a 3.1 or 2.8 diesel. I've changed directions with my Trooper and am going oil burner if I can find a half cut somewhere. :wink:
:shock: My gears better still be in there! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hatfield said:
Isn't the 3.1 engine the GM engine everyone says is a turd? You should go with a 3.4, or a diesel would be cool too. That on 34x10.5 ltbs with ~3in lift and locked up would be pretty sweet.
I think it's just a 2.8 with bigger displacement. I had a 2.8 in my old S-10 and it was a screamer with a cam and dual exhaust. Al least for a kid that didn't know better...... 3.4 would be better but this engine only has 60 K on it.

bradzuzu said:
All I can say is that it sucks to have so many good options !!! Lol
If you scrapped the truck and saved the engine and trans that's not a bad way to go. And might make your wife feel good about getting rid of one rig... Gotta be sneaky lol !!!
I guess the question would be do you off road ?? Is it really worth your while at this point ???
My amigo build can make for a great off roader but it's my daily driver, Best of both worlds. And I don't really want to pummel it. You've got a great selection to choose from !!!
The V8 powered R'S would be a nice build !!! Can you symplify things and use the 3.1 wiring harnes and adapt it over to the v8 maybe ??? Just run a tbi and get away with the factory senders maybe ???? Poke poke idea idea !!!!
Yeah, I run my Rodeo off road. It's supposed to be my daily but now I have a work truck. For that reason alone, It's evolved a bit over the past few years........ Now I want to 3 link it and add a rear ARB. Check the links in my signature for my build. Not sure what I'd need a second off-roader for but, hey, options are good right? I think I'd start by keeping the RS fairly tame for the street but we all know how that usually goes......And talk about sneaky, I know what you mean. I kinda need to store the Trooper until I can figure out a way to make it an acceptable purchase :wink: I couldn't pass it up for what I got it for though..... Lastly, the V8, I have a wiring harness for it. It was a boat project I bought and ended up parting out. I'd think the wiring would be about the same. Fuel injection would be nice, I like that idea. Be a lot of work to do this and a bit out of my comfort zone but the grin factor is fun to think about!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Man Cronk that's a nice clean machine, the rodeo has a sweet look !!! I don't know what to tell you lol... How bout a solid axle in your rodeo...!! That little R'S would be a fun build but you've got everything done on your rodeo.... The commodities of the new are oh so nice !!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Sell it to me.

Cronk said:
OK, I have the RS sitting at Jerry's house. I am on the fence about it right now. I really don't need it but I really like it. It's in terrific shape body wise (California truck). Runs but has an intake leak. I have fixed some stuff and collected parts for it over the past couple of years. Parts include: New head gasket, new radiator, new slave cylinder, new clutch master cylinder, asian hubs, calmini lift, roof rack, auxilary lighting, tube bumpers, OEM flares. Probably some other stuff too, can't remember.

Main thing is money. I do the work on my trucks with fun money only so until I get older, my spending is limited. I'm spread pretty thin between the Rodeo and other stuff plus my wife is harping on me about all the stuff she considers junk..... :D

So I have some ideas.

Sell it and use the money to fund other projects. I have about $2800.00 in it and would want to get my money back out of it.

It runs and I can drive it but It still needs some work to fix the idle. It is streetable so I could just drive it but I drive the Rodeo and don't really need another vehicle. I know it's a classic but it's not pristine either. Has about 140000 miles on it.

I have a Pickup with a 3.1 and 5 speed with a rusty frame. I was thinking of scraping it and cleaning up v6 and 5 speed to put in the RS. I have the Eldebrock Performer Intake already, all I'd really need is some Fiero valve covers to bling it out. Wiring harness from Pickup should work in the Trooper. Be kinda different and cool. I have the parts already and the Trooper is already sitting.

Then I also have a 5.7 crate engine sitting and waiting for a project. Also have the wiring harness and aftermarket gauges to go with it. If I could find a transmission transfer case combo. Maybe I could wedge it in the RS? Would take a lot of work but would be really cool. Probably be overkill though.

Last option and the one I really want to do is put the 2.8 or 3.1 Japanese diesel in it. That would require selling all my other stuff and getting the motor imported.

Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Hatfield said:
same displacement different engines :!:

the 4JB1-T is 2.8L DI and the 4JG2-T is 3.1L IDI there I-4s so nothing like the GM engines.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bradzuzu said:
Man Cronk that's a nice clean machine, the rodeo has a sweet look !!! I don't know what to tell you lol... How bout a solid axle in your rodeo...!! That little R'S would be a fun build but you've got everything done on your rodeo.... The commodities of the new are oh so nice !!
Thanks! I've enjoyed building it up. The result of too much time dreaming driving down the road and surfing the net. :D The thing about the Rodeo is the long wheel base. I've gotten high centered a few times in it now. If I built the RS just a little, it could get places the Rodeo couldn't go due to the short wheelbase. Plus the Rodeo is more of an epo rig. I like the way you did your SAS and would want to do mine that way if I did go that route. In due time I guess. I really can't justify the expense of doing the swap when I only use it a few times a year. Let's pull this back up in a few years and see if my opinion changes.

Jay said:
Sell it to me.
Wave some cash in front of me and we can talk! :D

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Ahhh !!!! Choices !!!! Well you've got a great game plan in the works... Thanks by the way, the ride and handling has met my expectations an den some lol...
I understand completely though.. I have my buggy for narly stuff. But then again it's cold and rainy for a good part of the year. So it makes sense to me to have choices. Believe it or not my big buggy weighs less than my amigo, and I haven't re-weighed it since I built the bumpers lol... Wheel base plays a big role in off roading sometimes a longer wb helps and other times cramps the style.
What all would you do to the R'S?? Suspension wise ?? We know you want to V8 it so I'm just gonna leave that in the plan 8) .. Have you thought about going with grand Cherokee coils in your rodeo ??? The V8 ones would rock !!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have some Trooper 912 springs waiting for me at home. I plan to install them this month with the lift pucks I already have.

I think if I make the RS an offroad rig, I would like to 3 link the rear like the 2nd gen Trooper then maybe do a front SAS with a Wagoner axle or if I have the money, Matt's hybrid Isuzu Axle. Nothing crazy, plan would be to run 34's or 35's. It'd be a slow build like my Rodeo though.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
That would be a nice machine !!! With the bumpers and lights it would be bitchin !!!
Not to mention the running gear setup. You better be extra nice to momma for Christmas :D
If you have a place and can make the time it would be a good choice of direction. Only other thing is the power plant. A diesel is spendy but torqie and fuel efficient. the best of both worlds of expense though is to use what ya have. Or sell stuff to do Your build the way you want !!
I don't have the patience to prolong a build lol once my fires burnin I'm going full steam :mrgreen:
But that's just me in general. It drives me nuts that all you guys live so far away. I'd love to be around just for the fun of it.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Just give it to me Joe.
Christmas is just around the corner you know :D

PS, will I get to see ou this time?

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
7,538 Posts
ok drop the thought of the GM 3.1L, RIGHT OFF THE BAT. I'm waiting on my buddy about getting to talk to an importer and see what a 1/2 cut will cost. im looking at 3 right now. 1 for me and 2 possibles. Leland being one. nothing in stone yet until i get pricing. the cool factor is the 1/2 cuts usually have hoods with scoops and also RHD components and frames :) . they are cut behind the front seats (usually no seats) and through the windshield posts. Holidays got in the way but i have to call him next week anyway about some paint work. Honestly that would be the best route for a trail truck build. Ive seen the V8s dropped in a 1st gen trooper, its got a cool factor but you'll spend more in cooling and fabrication then a diesel conversion would cost and bolt in. just my .03 cents

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Put the 2.8L Diesel and make it like this :

abook05b.jpg

Or if you want it to be an offroad rig, add 3.1L diesel with auto :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Wow, neat brochure. Where did you get it?

Seems like all countries but the U.S. had the cool options.

ubs_lover said:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imamonstertruck said:
Just give it to me Joe.
Christmas is just around the corner you know :D

PS, will I get to see ou this time?

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:
I'll have to think about that one. :D

Once I get back next week, I'm going to be home for a few weeks, possibly longer. We can meet up for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
YAY!!!! :D

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bradzuzu said:
That would be a nice machine !!! With the bumpers and lights it would be bitchin !!!
Not to mention the running gear setup. You better be extra nice to momma for Christmas :D
If you have a place and can make the time it would be a good choice of direction. Only other thing is the power plant. A diesel is spendy but torqie and fuel efficient. the best of both worlds of expense though is to use what ya have. Or sell stuff to do Your build the way you want !!
I don't have the patience to prolong a build lol once my fires burnin I'm going full steam :mrgreen:
But that's just me in general. It drives me nuts that all you guys live so far away. I'd love to be around just for the fun of it.
Who knows, I bounce around so much with my job, I may be back out west soon enough. I have to be careful on my spending habits so I can't just jump in the way I'd like. All my builds are slow burns. I really wish I could go all out and have tons of ideas but the major expenses have to get gone 1st. I fear that by the time I get around to doing the things I've dreamed up, I'll be too distracted by other things, hopefully little miniature versions of myself and or my wife.

lowzone said:
ok drop the thought of the GM 3.1L, RIGHT OFF THE BAT. I'm waiting on my buddy about getting to talk to an importer and see what a 1/2 cut will cost. im looking at 3 right now. 1 for me and 2 possibles. Leland being one. nothing in stone yet until i get pricing. the cool factor is the 1/2 cuts usually have hoods with scoops and also RHD components and frames :) . they are cut behind the front seats (usually no seats) and through the windshield posts. Holidays got in the way but i have to call him next week anyway about some paint work. Honestly that would be the best route for a trail truck build. Ive seen the V8s dropped in a 1st gen trooper, its got a cool factor but you'll spend more in cooling and fabrication then a diesel conversion would cost and bolt in. just my .03 cents
OK, maybe the 3.1 in an 81'-87' Pup then maybe? Keep me posted on the half cuts.

ubs_lover said:

Perfect inspiration Andy! I even like the Color.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts