Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I happen to run across a proper donor for the big brake upgrade, what should I be looking for in rotor thickness? I don't want to buy used rotors if they are used up. What are the upper and lower thickness numbers I should be looking for? Hope I have worded that clearly. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
The minimum thickness is stamped on every rotor but sometimes rust or crud can obscure the numbers. If all else fails, you can provide the year/make/model to a parts store that turns rotors and they can tell you the specs.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Rotor thickness new should be 26 mm or 1.0236220472452 ", Minimum thickness is 24.6 mm or 0.9685039370089201". Take your digital caliper with you to measure when shopping at the JY!

GB :)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks catfuzz. If I know before hand what I'm getting, this is good advice. I'll keep that in mind.

CatFuzz said:
The minimum thickness is stamped on every rotor but sometimes rust or crud can obscure the numbers. If all else fails, you can provide the year/make/model to a parts store that turns rotors and they can tell you the specs.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a lot of numbers! I like 26 mm and 24.6 mm. Easy to remember. One more tool to fill the tool bag when I go hunting at pick n pull.

Thank you for the info. you smart feller.

gb89amigo said:
Rotor thickness new should be 26 mm or 1.0236220472452 ", Minimum thickness is 24.6 mm or 0.9685039370089201". Take your digital caliper with you to measure when shopping at the JY!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm, are you sure of those numbers? That's not even 2 mm difference between min and max wear.

gb89amigo said:

·
Registered
677 Posts
We are talking about brake rotors. The pads don't move very much and it only takes a little slop in the rotor to make them fail. That's why shops won't turn rotors that show signs of gouging or pitting.

·
Registered
555 Posts
gb89amigo said:

You can make set of calipers work,and I have on many occasions,but a micrometer is better as it can get in past that little ridge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Front 24.6 mm / Rear 16.6. mm

It's not easy to find the answers in the forums either. It took me a lot of looking to find a post with both front and rear specs.

From another discussion in Drivetrain Problems.
Wow it's like pulling teeth!!!

Not a single dealer I called knew what the figure was. How ironic as they were the very same STEALERS that told me my rotors were in need of replacement about 100K miles ago.

I finally managed to get the figure from a dude at a parts store that took the time to look the figure up.

24.6 mm Front Rotor Thickness

Just to try and make sure that he was getting accurate figures I asked him to get the number for the rear as well. He told me 16.6 mm and that just happens to be what is stamped on the rears.

Now off to measure these things! Smile

¡Oracle!
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=2039&highlight=rotor+thickness+rear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts