Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in a conversation with the soon-to-be Ex-wife I inquired what it would take for her to wave off the dogs regarding me being able to take my daughter wheeling with me. For those of you who don't know my ex hauled me into court and had a judge pass a ruling that I was not allowed to take my daughter off roading due to it's "Dangerous nature".

So the Ex says that if I put a roll cage in the back to protect my daughter then she would allow it...

So what I am thinking is basically a Sport bar that would look like the Wrangler bar without the windshield bars. This wouldn't affect head room in the seating area and give her some peace of mind.

What do you think??

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You could use a 1st gen 4runner roll bar, bet you can get one from the yard for $50. This is one in a 3rd gen 4r.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
^Is that you Hatfield^
if so, that is pretty freaking rad.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
First of all, my condolences. There are a lot more dangerous activities out in the world than going wheeling with dad.

As for the rollcage, you are spot-on to be worried about headroom. But headroom can be a problem above, next to and behind the kids. Have a professional build you a cage that hugs the a, b and c pillars. I think small-ish diameter tubing would be plenty and make it easier to keep the tubing away from your girls heads, knees, chins, hands, etc in the case of a flop.

I would not worry too much about getting a tricked out cage with gussets and lots of triangulation. That is just more stuff to bump heads on AND if you are going to do something that requires that level of protection inside the car, it MAY be better to leave the girls at home for that trip. Or maybe have them get out and spot you through the obstacle....

Finally, seatbelts. OEM belts may keep the kids too close to the sides of the car and make head-cage contact a little more likely. You might consider adding a belt bar to the cage and having the girls seating positions more towards the middle of the rear bench seat.

HTH

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
All well and good, but will the EX really resend the order if you do this. Sounds like she knows how to jerk your chain and likes to.

·
Registered
17 Posts
rodeo joe said:
All well and good, but will the EX really resend the order if you do this. Sounds like she knows how to jerk your chain and likes to.
x2. If this was my ex that is what she would be doing (and please god don't let her find out that she can take me to court for stopping me from taking the kids offroading :evil:)

·
Registered
827 Posts
imamonstertruck said:
^Is that you Hatfield^
if so, that is pretty freaking rad.

cheers
-Ian
Those bars are standard in all the SWB Fronteras up to 98.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responce guys!

To start with let me say this. I do not run hard trails. I like the sheetmetal on my Trooper just the way it is and have no intension of tearing it up. That being said, I certinly would never run a hardcore trail with my daughter in the truck.

This bar would be more for show than for structural functionality. Basicly a sport bar as they are commonly called for liability reasons. This would just be to ease the ex's mind. I have no intension of placing my daughter in any hazzardous situation.

As to her intensions being true, yes I told her that if I were to agree to this and have a roll bar (note I didn't say cage) put in that I would want this in writing before the work was done that this would satisfy her and she would dismiss the injuction and allow me to take our daughter on my little adventures. She agreed and the papers are being prepared accordingly. What is another $500 in lawyers fees at this point... :cry: :lol: :cry: :roll:

I like the roll bar that Hatfield posted but, I think I will just pay Matt @ Indy4x to bend me up one that matches the contours of the truck and will allow the rear seats to still recline since that gets utilized on road trips a lot. Then have it go around the window and down the rear post. I figure since I am going to do this I will get something that I want also. I am going to have him add securement points so I will be able to tie down things and even hard mount others like my fire extinguisher and other emergency gear.

·
Registered
199 Posts
that actually sounds kinda cool, post pics if you do get Matt to and let me know the cost...

·
Registered
408 Posts
That is what I did on Oddball...worked pretty good in my odd opinion.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sabre07 said:
That is what I did on Oddball...worked pretty good in my odd opinion.
Well lets see some pics then?? Inquiring minds want to know...

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sabre you are on to something there. I like using the harbor freight basket! They just had their aluminum receiver hitch basket racks on sale for $80 or so last week. Will have to wait for that sale to come back around and grab one.

Like I said earlier, I am going to talk to Matt and see what he wants to get into this build. The way I see it is two hoops (one behind the rear seat, and one at the rear of the cargo area) and four spreader bars. The spreaders would basically picture frame the cargo area windows.

If I can keep it under $500 I will be happy. Seems simple enough to me, and will create many possible mounting options for gear. I am thinking of mounting the basket rack level with the top of the rear seat so I can store heavy gear on the floor and strap lighter gear into the basket.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Bumping this just to help get the $%^ing spam off the page. :evil:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CatFuzz said:
Bumping this just to help get the $%^ing spam off the page. :evil:
Huh??

What spam?