Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rodeo makes a popping or single clunk noise when I accelerate or brake relatively hard to hard. It seem to be coming from the front right. Upon inspection all seems to be fine. The lower ball joint's boot is torn but the joint itself is not loose. I was thinking it could be sway bar bushings or end links? The boots on the sway bar end links are old and worn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
It may sound silly but check your wheel nuts.

A friends car was making similar noises under braking and acceleration and it was a loose front wheel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked for that but the wheels are not loose and have been properly torqued.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Have you re-greased your driveshaft? That is an infamous source of clunking during taking off and braking hard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,980 Posts
Dirtbikeguy2009 said:
ZuBrew said:
How to fix 2nd generation Rodeo driveshaft clunk:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4669
Yes I was actually planning on doing that on thursday. I guess I will do that and let you know whether or not it fixes the problem. Thanks
Pretty sure it's not that. I had that issue and it was pretty obvious where it was coming from.

Lift the front off ground and wiggle the tire around. Check for movement and see if anything needs to be replaced.

If you think its the sway bar link just disconnect it and carefully drive around your neighboorhood and see if the noise disapears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jwood1016 said:
Dirtbikeguy2009 said:
ZuBrew said:
How to fix 2nd generation Rodeo driveshaft clunk:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4669
Yes I was actually planning on doing that on thursday. I guess I will do that and let you know whether or not it fixes the problem. Thanks
Pretty sure it's not that. I had that issue and it was pretty obvious where it was coming from.

Lift the front off ground and wiggle the tire around. Check for movement and see if anything needs to be replaced.

If you think its the sway bar link just disconnect it and carefully drive around your neighboorhood and see if the noise disapears.
Sounds like a good idea, if the sway bar link does not appear to be the problem, could sway bar bushings possibly cause this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,980 Posts
Dirtbikeguy2009 said:
jwood1016 said:
Dirtbikeguy2009 said:
ZuBrew said:
How to fix 2nd generation Rodeo driveshaft clunk:
http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4669
Yes I was actually planning on doing that on thursday. I guess I will do that and let you know whether or not it fixes the problem. Thanks
Pretty sure it's not that. I had that issue and it was pretty obvious where it was coming from.

Lift the front off ground and wiggle the tire around. Check for movement and see if anything needs to be replaced.

If you think its the sway bar link just disconnect it and carefully drive around your neighboorhood and see if the noise disapears.
Sounds like a good idea, if the sway bar link does not appear to be the problem, could sway bar bushings possibly cause this?
I doubt it would be the bushing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a chance this is a bad motor mount? Removing the sway bar link did not fix the problem. Neither did lubricating the driveshaft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,980 Posts
Check your front body mounts. Two up front and two where the drivers and passenger feet go. If they look smashed together then that's prob the culprit no doubt. I don't think it would be an engine mount because you said it also pops when you brake, no torque is applied to the engine when that happens so why would it move lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
My 98 Rodeo had similar clunk noises and it turned out to be the hood hinge. Quite ridiculous and hard to pinpoint where the sound comes from. The hinge is a bad design as the pin gets loose. I've replaced two already. This last one is getting loose again. I've stuffed into the hinge joint some .008" shims, filled it with oil hoping the dust/dirt would do the rest :/

Try lubing all the chassy bushings with silicone spray. My area is really dry so I have to do this periodically or otherwise the vehicle starts making funny grindy / clunk noises.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there a chance this is a bad U joint?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
I think I found the culprit, even though I checked several times, I feel stupid I never noticed this. The Shock absorber has a gap between the rubber but and the mount as you can see in the picture. It is like this on both sides.
IMG_1583.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
Looks like someone installed that wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
ZuBrew said:
Looks like someone installed that wrong.
don't know that it's been installed wrong, if you have a good look at the top rubber it is starting to crack. So my assumption is that the shock rubbers have worn. they tend to go soft, crack and squash up like that when they wear out.

my suggestion is to replace the shock rubbers if the shocks are still ok, otherwise replace the shocks.

cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have been planning to get my 9000xl shocks, this is just the kick in the butt I needed to do so. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
samorgs said:
ZuBrew said:
Looks like someone installed that wrong.
don't know that it's been installed wrong, if you have a good look at the top rubber it is starting to crack. So my assumption is that the shock rubbers have worn. they tend to go soft, crack and squash up like that when they wear out.

my suggestion is to replace the shock rubbers if the shocks are still ok, otherwise replace the shocks.

cheers
The bottom rubber looks brand new and the metal washers look flipped the wrong way. It looks like they weren't tightened down all the way or the stud is stripped so the nut can't go any further.
Either way tho, something is not right there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Look at your lower control arm bushing. If it is worn, it will make the torsion bar move from front to back causing the pop at the back of the bar where it joins with the adjustment housing. If you squirt some oil on the housing to lube the unit, and the pop goes away, you have found the problem. If your unit has ever been lifted, you can almost bet on the lower bushing being shot.
GEG
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top