Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guys. I have read this site for years now and slowly I've been buying parts and getting all the componets for a year. I've done a lot of research and read other people's posts.
I unfurtunately have found out that things are that NOT easy to do.

I'm using Rancho shocks, OME 912 Coils Springs and 2 1/2 spacers as bigpoppax2 has done.

The bolt for Driver side upper link needs to be removed since I will not drop low enough to move the coil spring.
This was hard to do since I coil spring will not let the bolt come out. I had to get a coil spring compressor to remove it. Make your life easier and get a coil spring compressor.

I was finally able to remove it and drop it enough to put the 2 1/2 spacer and 912 coil spring. My huge problem is that I can NOT get the UPPER LINK bolt to line up properly to screw it back in.

Any ideas?!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had the same problem when replacing my springs on my Trooper. The difference is that the trooper only has one upper link right in the center. I had read that it would make it easier to replace the springs if you removed the upper link (from experience, its easier not to remove it!).
With the new springs the axle had moved a little to the back so the holes would not line up.

I had to use a ratchet strap to move the axle closer or more at an angle to get the holes to align. It was a lot of work but I finally got it to align.

I had the same problem this past week when I had to remove the passenger side lower-link to get it straighten out.
Once I was ready to place it back in, the axle had shifted forward and would not align with the holes. I used my heavy-duty jack to lift the rear passenger tire (it has wheels). I then tied a strap to the axle and connected it to my van. I pulled it back lightly and kept trying until the holes lined up.

I’m sure there is a better way, but that’s how I got it to line up.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I'm telling you the best way to get this to line back up is to put a bottle jack between the trailer hitch and the upper link mount. You will probably need to put a 4x4 or a few short pieces of 2x4 to space your bottle jack out to where it will reach the axle.

All you are trying to do is rotate the top of the axle toward the front of the truck. If you can do that the holes should line up. If not then all you should need to do is pull down on the link after you have rotated the axle forward with the jack (leave the jack in place).

I've done this at least 5 different times and each time it's the same problem, but this method does solve it. I've not had any trouble using this scheme.

You can see the link I made to miss my gas tank here. Anyway this is where you need to put one end of the jack, the other should be on the hitch. A large screwdriver from the other side can help align and pry the link into place as well. I know the first time you do this it's a pain but when you figure it out it's not too bad.

Joe

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just read this. Thanks again. I will see if I buy some more 4x4. I will give it one more try!

Buying it those upper links might be the eisiest way to go.
shoudl I buy the set or just one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.