Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Rodeo 2.6 5spd OBD2, It developed a strange problem this week when the weather got cold 20F. At first it wouldn't idle I had to stay on the pedal, I drove off and when warm it seemed ok. Left work the same night same thing but worse. Got it home and checked it in the morning, pulling connectors checking hoses ect... Started it and it seemed fine that day. Started it at work that night and the idle went to about 2500rpm, managed to get it home 4 miles or so and shut it down. Today checked the connectors and so on started it and initially the idle jumped up, I immediately shut it down, stared it again and it seemed fine, drove it around the block ok. Let it sit for a minute and restarted it, Low idle again. Could the Coolant Temp sensor make these extreme idle swings? The car when driving appears to have full power no hesitations, everything was fine until Monday morning. Thoughts?
Jeff

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the antifreeze is good. So the temp sensor could make it do these wild idle swings? Normally would just swap it but it is underneath the manifold looks like a pain.
I pulled the tps with it running and the idle messed up and it threw a code so it's probably ok, it was swapped in the summer along with a new egr valve and idle air control valve, plugs, cap all of which made the car run perfect.
Jeff

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll pull it tomorrow and clean it out. I also read a post about a guy who changed everything to finally take it the stealership and they said it was the battery ground cable. That is under the manifold but I can reach that and make sure it's tight.
Jeff

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2.6L. It started up fine this morning. I pulled the dist, idle air control, resealed the valve cover gasket puck and general checkout. Drove it an it's fine.
Now I'll wait till it gets cold again.
Jeff

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is the last of the 2.6's. It basically is the same old 4cyl with the throttle body, egr valve and emissions of the 3.2 v-6 but still has a distributor. I drove it yesterday and it did its low stalling bit, It felt almost like it was grounding out more than fuel, then it cleared and drove perfect. I'm wondering if it's distributor related, I've got a spare cap and rotor my slap it on and see if it changes anything.It's very random and does it hot or cold.
Jeff

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Poor motor has attack of the new and old !!! You could buy a temp sender for the ECM to have on hand. For one it would make it easier to find the original (match it's twin), the other when it acts up again you can plug the new one in and see if it changes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The truth is this is a pretty good setup compared to my 89 trooper 2.6l, for one they did away with the air pump and all of its crazy exhaust pipes, and it has very few vacuum hoses. But both of the engines are very reliable and hearty. I think I might of got it fixed, drove it about 50 miles and it seems ok. It could of been the oil leak getting into the distributor cap, it was wet with oil in there. I'm going to pick of temp sensor.
Jeff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts