Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a quick question that I'm sure someone can answer.

(I'm a Canuk with a 92 Rodeo 5 spd & the Gm 3.1)

This might not make much sense but here goes:

I was told yesterday that if I ever needed to replace the clutch on my truck I should expect to pay a lot more than other import suv's. This was because plastic spring was used on the flywheel ( I think that's the part he said). These springs are prone to melting and if that occurs, the flywheel would have to be replaced as well as the clutch (adding aprox $400 to my clutch job).

Is this a problem common to these trucks? If so can I avoid this by replacing the clutch when it starts acting up (rather than waiting until I can't make it up a hill like I usually do :oops: )

thanks,

Will

·
Registered
368 Posts
Was this from a mechanic with a financial interest in your truck? A plastic flywheel spring? As far as I know (not very far really) any manual transmission flywheel is just a solid piece of steel. The only springs I know of is on the center of the clutch plate itself, and those are metal.
My personal opinion is that sounds bogus to me, but theres lots of people that know more about this than me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 98 Amigo. The dealer price for a clutch replacement (no slave/master cyl replacement) is $880. Local import mechanics can do it for about $400. Shop around to get the best price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The springs in the clutch plate would have to be some scarily amazing plastic to do the job that they do. . .

when you lift your foot on the clutch pedal, these springs take the shock of the flywheel and transmission coming together. . . they're just there to make for a smooth change.

cheers

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
RUN do not WALK as far away from that mechanic as you can!!! They obviously have been smoking some serious Smack or are outright crooks!

There's nothing special about an Isuzu Rodeo 3.1 clutch, it's pretty much like a GM clutch only the splines on the clutch disc have the correct pattern to fit the Isuzu MUA transmission input shaft.

You definitely DON'T have to replace the flywheel to do a clutch job on your rig (unless the flywheel was damaged beyond repair!), and you can get a great deal on an OEM-quality replacement clutch kit from these folks:

www.capclutch.com

HTH & Good Luck.............ed

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks all,

(I know I DNS at this point but with your help I'm learning)

Quick question: Is there a good book (or website) that I could pick up to "learn the basics"? - so the next time someone tells me something like "there are plastic springs on your flywheel" I won't waste everyone's time :wink:

Idiot's guide to auto mechanics?

·
Registered
368 Posts
You could pick up a chiltons or whatever manual for your car from the local auto parts store, I use mine when I don't know what to do. It helps. I did a clutch and stuff change last weekend using it and they're helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.