Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to find definitive information on this swap anywhere!

Basically, my friend has a late '90s 4x4 Rodeo with a crappy body, but bought a late '90s 4x2 Rodeo with a good body that doesn't run. Can I swap over everything for him from the 4x4 onto the 4x2 (drivetrain, suspension, ECU etc)? Or are the frames different as well? Does it make more sense to swap bodies instead? How hard is it to swap the bodies on these?

I've got tons of time and help, so the work isn't an issue. I just need to know if this is doable or not.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I would suggest doing a body swap !!! It's a big mass but really the least Amount of hardware to undo... My last amigo build I pulled two body's drove on the good frame built up the bent one then swapped the body back on. You will have hoses and wires and stuff to unplug but having access to clean and prep everything is kind of nice.
FYI the frames should be the same maybe even have the threaded holes to bolt up the front axle assembly.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I might know a little about doing a 4wd swap.

Find my build thread in the Members section.

Reactions: flamewulfe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bradzuzu and black98rodeo! I looked up your 'Black Nightmare', black98rodeo; sweet ride! I only got about halfway through the thread so far, but I see that ultimately the worst part is the welding of the upper tabs for the front diff? How did you guys figure out where to weld the tabs? Did you have to mock up the diff to the frame, or is there a marking somewhere to measure from? I've got a 150 amp welder, I think that should be sufficient for the weld, though its hard to tell the gauge of the frame.

Still, does it make more sense to do a body swap instead? Does the interior follow the body, or is that a seperate swap?

Makes me wish I had never gotten rid of my 2WD Rodeo! But I'm holding out for a VX someday.

·
Registered
90 Posts
flamewulfe said:
Thanks bradzuzu and black98rodeo! I looked up your 'Black Nightmare', black98rodeo; sweet ride! I only got about halfway through the thread so far, but I see that ultimately the worst part is the welding of the upper tabs for the front diff? How did you guys figure out where to weld the tabs? Did you have to mock up the diff to the frame, or is there a marking somewhere to measure from? I've got a 150 amp welder, I think that should be sufficient for the weld, though its hard to tell the gauge of the frame.

Still, does it make more sense to do a body swap instead? Does the interior follow the body, or is that a seperate swap?

Makes me wish I had never gotten rid of my 2WD Rodeo! But I'm holding out for a VX someday.
150 amp is more than adequate for installing brackets and such on a frame thats probably 1/8in thick at best.

I would also say a body swap would be the best route.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm leaning a little more towards the body swap. Anyone have a how-to on it?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Do you have any kind of facilities ??? I was fortunate my amigo has a sunroof and it's a good balance point.

I started with the bumpers then unbolted the gas tank filler. Next where the body mount bolts, then the E brake cables. There is a master plug under the drivers side floor board ( might be the opposite side on yours) .... Moving forward unplug the abs wires by the upper A arms, sterearing column, unplug any body to engine master plugs. Pull the radiator and undo the heater core hoses, ac if equipped (ac system is under pressure so loosen a line just enough to drain it off)....

Look up Squatch's redbeans he pulled his body off and used cribbing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, bradzuzu! It looks like you left the drivetrain intact and installed when you did the swap. One less thing to worry about. It might get hectic though, as we're going to have to do 2 bodies at the same time; one in the garage, and the other out on the driveway. The wife will not be pleased! This all hinges on us finally getting our house; we've been waiting on it for about 5 months now to purchase. Several times we've come to the table to close, but problems with the bank that owns the house keep tangling us up. We're hoping to hear back definitively in the next week or so. I'm hoping we can tackle this in 2 solid weekends, as long as we don't prep/paint frames, replace suspension components, etc, and just do an even body swap. Talk about a logistical nightmare! My friend will need one of these as a DD sometime in January, so we can't wait too long to start this.

So, as far as anyone knows, there are no significant differences in the bodies between the 4x4 and 4x2 models? They should theoretically share all of the same mounting points and connection spots?

Found RedBeans thread on the body swap! Here it is for future reference:
viewtopic.php?t=12172

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I used a trailer to store one body on. Then backed the trailer back in and lifted it off. All the body mounts are the same. The wiring plugs should all be the same to, being the same year. If you could rent or put together a nice big tripod setup the job should go fairly quick. One important note don't turn the steering wheel let it lock and remain straight when you undo the colum. Otherwise you will break the wiring for the horn and air bag. I had to pull the assembly out if my parts rig when everything was said and done. Also if it's a stick you only need to unbolt the clutch throw out slave unit and tie it to the body, and unscrew the shifter knobs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts