Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No mine this is the ARB project Truck.

This is my truck

I Like your ride how much did the sliders set you back?

What lift did you use?

Do I see Wildamrar in your pics.

·
Registered
280 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would not recommend using step bars as skid bars. Check out Shrockworks bars at
http://www.shrockworks.com/isubars.htm
Click on the nissan page and look at the yellow nissan bottom right. This is what happens when your step bar hits rocks, it bends up and can damage the rocker panels. The Shrockworks slider bars are very strong, can be used with a high lift jack to lift the truck and are cheaper than some or most nerf bars or step bars. (there are other manufacturers of slider bars, I just like The looks of shrockworks and they have good demonstration pics on their site.

The Helms Manual (Paper) is about three inches thick and full of breakdown diagrams of almost all the systems Definitely woth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hmmm..... Interesting.

My step bars or BIG, about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. However, I think thay STILL won't provide much protection, and take up ground clearance space for little value-added.

You know, if this keeps up, the darn' mods are going to cost me more than the friggin' truck! :shock: :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I have to agree. The "Nerf Bars" and factory steps won't protect the rocker panels at all. The Shrockworks bars are nice, and Independent4x.com sells them for Troopers as well. Darlington Off-road sells them for other Isuzus last I checked.

I have some fairly simple ones on my 94 (note: I removed the plastic boddy cladding on the rocker panels, and haven't plugged the holes yet).

Click to enlarge, as always:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tad,
Looking at the picture of your bars... I would be concerned that they don't seem to protect the bottom of the rocker panels. Where slider bars tend to run the full length of the rocker panel... the gap between your bars coming out from the frame seem to leave the rocker panel subject to impact. (nothing personal, I still have the stock plastic running boards on mine) The way your bars come out...then up to the step. It looks like this difference in height would allow your rocker panel to be pushed upward until the object hit the bottom of your step. Maybe I'm wrong and it is just the angle of the pictures. Just trying to look out for that good looking troop!!!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
They do leave the pinch weld unprotected. The pics are a bit deceiving though. The bars are lower than the rockers. In fact, the top of the 2x4 box is almost exactly even with the bottom of the rocker panel (excluding the pinch weld).

This is the best pic that I could find that half-way shows it.

-Tad

·
Registered
280 Posts
So THIS is where the rest of the thread went! I thought I'd entered the Twilight Zone!

You posted a perfect picture for a related question I have:

The suspension element (I have no idea what it is) that runs UNDER the Shrockworks bars seems to be pretty exposed (I noticed this on my truck, which has the Nerf bars. When the vehicle comes down, is there any danger to this element? Does the rock bar offer any protection? What would happen if this member broke?

Also, I notice the bars are WELDED on. Where did you have this done? Is it difficult to find a place?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.