Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have done a butt load of work to Charlie these last few months and finally got to a point where I felt comfortable enough to take a break from the garage and use this machine! it just so happened that some family was getting together at Lake Chelan in central WA and I thought what better way to see if everyhting works than lug the family plus tons of camping gear 400 miles over mountian passes and desert-like conditions.

Anywho I took a few pics with the intention of taking more, but the little one usually dictates what I do in my free time so here is what I got:

Started out the day pretty worried about the weight I was carrying in the 'lil 2.3 carby. I made the wife ditch 2 books and I think that was enough to get us over Stevens pass (4,000 feet) :D

I maxed out at about 40 mph while cresting the pass. I thought maybe we'd have to get out and push the sob!

Lot's of gear selection and momentum got us to our destination. After hours of the little one screaming, we decided to pawn her off with the elders and take a wine break! Plenty of vineyards at Chelan and what a great time!

We had an awesome rental house right on the lake! Swimming, boating, skiing and drinking was enjoyed 8)

Warm and sunny weather prevailed, but we did have a refreshing storm blow through (wife and hellion)

My daughter is fascinated with my projects and already helps with tools. I'm pretty sure that she'll be driving within the month.

All good things come to an end. We said goodbye to blue skys, cool waters and half empty single malt scotches. Till next time

:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks like a great place to stay! Congratz on conquering the pass. What octane of fuel did you use?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dougly said:
Looks like a great place to stay! Congratz on conquering the pass. What octane of fuel did you use?
Great question!

Before I replaced the timing belt and such I always ran 87. Once I got everything together ( timing belt, tensioner, full tune up, thermostat, hoses; vacuum and coolant, fuel pump, clutch rear main seal, etc.) I noticed some pinging on inclines. Whatever, filled up with 89 and all was good. My timing may be a bit advanced.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
It's a lot of cargo space isn't it. They leaned heavily on the "U" when they designed these SUV's didnt they? Great trucks.. great trucks.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
stusvend said:
It's a lot of cargo space isn't it. They leaned heavily on the "U" when they designed these SUV's didnt they? Great trucks.. great trucks.
That's my attraction to them. Pretty bare-bones type of truck. I'm going to have this around for looooong time :D

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
congratulations on the family excursion. anyone can take their family on vacation in a shiny new 2010 ford suburban (whatever), but it takes a family with balls to try it with a 25 year old vehicle. make it an adventure, test your innards. good on you man. actually, you've got a nice looking family and we know that you wouldn't have taken your vehicle if you weren't sure of it's capabilities.
you've also got a nice looking trooper there and it's stock to-boot. you give us first gen trooper owners pride of ownership.
one other thing. i like your story telling skills, light and a wee bit of humor.

cheers, john

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.