Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else experiences a lot of road noise in their Rodeo. I have a great system in the truck, but I still get a lot of road noise that if weren't there, the audio system would sound a lot better. I've done research and it may be coming from under the hood or up through the wheel wells. Has anyone done any soundproofing of their trucks? If so, any advice on how I might best reduce the road noise that enters my passenger compartment?

Thanks,

Moses

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Well, first of all, what kind of tires do you run? If you run big knobby tires you can expect a lot more road noise. For insulation, my suggestion would be to go with Dynamat. Dynamat is a specific adhesive, flexible matting made to reduce noise reduction. Although, this will add weight to your vehicle.

Do stay away from spray in foam products, as these will only retain moisture and cause rust.

-Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm only running 245/70R16s and I think most of it is coming from the wheel wells. Isn't Dynamat more for under the carpet and in the door panels? How about a rubberized undercoating for the wheel wells? Any experience with this or warnings about it?

Moses

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. I was referring more to the tread pattern of the tire rather than the size. On one of my rigs I run BFG All Terrains and I have another rig with Buckshot Mudders. The Buckshots are much, much louder tires eventhough they have the same tread width.

In any case, rubberized undercoating probably won't deaden your sound too much. You could try, but I've had better luck working Dynamat underneath my mats and carpets and on the backside of my firewall, etc. Isolate the cab and leave the sound outside (don't worry about the wheel wells).

I have heard of "rain and ice shield" being a poor mans Dynamat, but haver personally never used it, and it smells more than Dynamat too, which is perhaps the biggest difference. Hope this helps.

-Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't remember what kind of tires were on my 98 Passport 4 wheel drive when I got (I think they were the factory tires), but it had really bad road noise. I swapped them out for Dunlop Radial Rover A/T's, and the ride is absolutely silent. If your running a hard(cheap) tire with an aggressive tread such as the Dueler's, or Wrangler's your gonna have a noisy ride. You don't need sound insulation unless your looking to keep your sound in. A switch to a quality tire will solve your road noise problem.
Brandon

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a 98 Amigo. It had lots of road noise and not just from the soft top. I used the spray on under coating. This help a lot to reduce road noise, I used the rubber stuff. What brand was it? :? I have no idea. that was some time ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.