Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm probably gonna go pick up some junkyard 16" snowflakes this week. They say they are in fair condition. But I think it would be neat to refinish them and bring back some shine.

So how do you do it? Grit blast? Emery cloth? Clear coat? Wax? Polishing compound?

I know I've seen some guys on here bring some beat up rims back to near showroom condition. Give me some hints. Pleaaasse.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I am hoping to refinish my rims this summer. Planning on going black or gunmetal on the inside and polishing the flat surfaces with a ton of clear coat over them.
In for advice, pics, and discussion.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I didn't have the patience for polishing. I had mine sand blasted and painted them with wheel paint. The texture gave a cool texture to the paint.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to keep the milled look, so I'm thinking die grinder with scotch brite pad.

What do you guys use to preserve the finish, wax? clearcoat?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Quezzy said:
Cronk said:
I didn't have the patience for polishing. I had mine sand blasted and painted them with wheel paint. The texture gave a cool texture to the paint.
You dont know how to use a high speed drill or cut off tool?
No, my mommy won't let me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used aircraft paint remover and removed the clear coat first. That will tell you what you need to do next. Mine looked super bad until I took the clearcoat off. Post some pics, before after and durring.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Quezzy said:
Cronk said:
You dont know how to use a high speed drill or cut off tool?
He didn't say he didn't know how.

He said he didn't have the patience for it.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I did it on dirtbike forks, but the same principle applies. Bike is an 83, troop is an 88, so there close in age. Clearcoat was peeling off, so I just took a red scotchbright pad. I cleaned off the clear and cleaned up the metal. hit it with some polish and they look real good.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I redid some turbine designs by putting the whole wheel into my brake lathe and turning it while I held a high speed grinder to the surface with a 60# flap wheel on it.

They cleaned up nicely and then I polyester coated the polished surfaces and they're still looking good, seven years later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts