Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering which Cam to get for my trooper. My 89' trooper 2.3 auto, is lifted and SAS'd with 33's and 4.56 gears. Does great on low end. I was toying with getting the Calmini Cam that I've heard of which is more for 3000 - 3500 rpm + range.. My issue is on the highway climbing hills. I nearly get passed by Geo Metro's due to how low I'm geared.

I guess my main concern is that it may take away from the low end. It's stated that it's not supposed to but just wondering if that is what others have experienced?

Let me know if I've left out some specs you might be interested in.

-Tom

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm looking for the same thing. I've found one post, via search for "cam", that mentioned Delta low end torque cam. I have not investicated Delta yet but that is the best option I've seen so far. Not much aftermarket for Trooper parts.

Also, is the engine displacement 2.3?? I believe that year options where 2.6 (4cyl) and 2.8 (6cyl). I have the 2.6, manual. Good luck. Post on your results. Thanks

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah you guys are right..I'm still a zuzu newb.. I do have the 2.6. Yeah the Calmini cam is the one I've been checking out. It is the one I'm leaning towards right now.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The Delta cam is just a regrind, and is aimed more a low end torque, better for offroad use. The Calmini cam is a brand new cam and like you said earlier, is aimed at top end power, better suited for general highway driving, and/or highspeed offroad driving.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bought the Calmini cam for the Amigo. Although it does have a little more zest on the road, I've not really noticed a difference while fourwheeling slow like. It is still by no means a speed demon. (an amish guy wanted to race me for pink slips) I just don't have to downshift as much going up hills as I did before.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Did the cam kill your gas mileage? I was wondering if this extra power on the highway would actually help.
Kinda like tossing a 302 out of a fullsize Bronco and sticking in a strong 351. Actually got SAME mileage. Engine was lot less strained.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Honestly I don't know what my gas mileage was before, I had it about two weeks before the stock cam locked itself up in the cylinder head. My mileage now is about 19 mpg which is good for a 2.6 though for you it will probably be lower.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I went with the Delta because I needed a cam at the time and it was cheap. :wink:

I've got nothing bad to say about it.

I find it's easier to find a happy gear in the congested Seattle traffic I deal with going back & forth to work. Works good puttin around in the woods.

As far as the highway goes, I dont think it hurt me any. Never could pull my favorite hill in 5th with the stock cam & tires. Still cant, but I do make it a little further before downshifting even with the 31s.

Not a racer cam for sure, but then it's not in a racer. :lol:

Just my experiance with the Delta.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts