Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting an RFW (request for write-up) on replacing the Rodeo's rear coil springs. What's involved (i.e., how to lower the axle, what needs to be disconnected, etc.)?

Tad mentioned that Bigpoppax2 is willing to write some more articles for The Planet. How about it, Bigpoppa? Up for the task? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
189 Posts
This shouldn't be too hard or at least I think. I would:

- Disconnect shocks
- Disconnect panhard bar
- Raise the chassis until the springs are loose

Things that might get in the way:

- Not long enough brake line
- Upper arms

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The things that need to be disconnected:

Shocks
Swaybar links
Locating bar that goes over the gas tank
Single brake line at the rear axle (just unbolt from the rear axle)

If you've never had your track bar off and flipped the bolt around you'll have to take it off just to get clearance to get to your lower passenger side shock mount.

Once these things are disconnected, then raise the frame of the truck very high. It will take a lot more than you think. Then allow the axle to drop.

The stockers should about fall out. The new springs will take a spring compressor or some fighting to get them in. I won't say I've used a ratchet strap to compress a coil spring because that would be dangerous. But in a pinch it works, I wasn't compressing it much.

After the rear springs are in place, put everything back together and you are done, then go to my torsion bar adjustment article and get the front done. By the way have fun getting the locating bar back lined up and the bolt back in. It's always fun. Tip: Use the floor jack to be able to move the rear end around a bit, it will help align everything better.

Tad if you want this actually written up, I'll add it to my list, just let me know.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Definately get a spring compressor, it'll save you a lot of time. Checker (Schucks, CKY in some parts of the country) and Autozone both rent them. Autozone is free, not sure about Checker.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I did end up using a spring compressor. I can imagine how much more of a pain it would have been if I had to disconnect the whole axle. I ended up buying mine for $30 - well worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
For those of you reading with Troopers, last weekend Adam and I installed 2.5" spring spacers on top of OME919 springs under my 94 Trooper with just a socket wrench, two jackstands and a floor jack. We didn't even remove the tires.

Step one: Park the truck on level pavement, and block the front wheels with chocks
Step two: Jack up the rear of the truck under the differential with the jack as high as it will go.
Step three: carefully lower the truck until the frame is sitting on the jackstands. Try to keep the truck as high as you can in this step.
Step four: remove the nuts from the lower shock mounts, and pull the shocks off of the lower studs. Let them dangle.
Step five: (optional depending on total lift) unbolt the brake line Tee fitting from the bracket on the rear axle and carefully bend the hard lines so that the Tee is aprox 2.5" above where it was before. When installing just lift springs, this step isn't needed. When I went back to install the spacers, I had to do this step.
Step six: lower the jack until the springs fall out. Keep an eye on the rubber brake line, especially if you didn't disconnect the Tee from the bracket.
Step seven: Install springs/spacers
Step eight: Jack axle back up.
Step nine: Reconnect shocks
Step ten: jack axle up enough so that the jackstands can be removed, and remove jack stands.
Step eleven: lower truck.

-Tad

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Tad where is your gas tank mounted on a 94 Trooper? On a second gen Rodeo you will have to take the locating bar loose (the one on the drivers side that goes over the gas tank) and the sway bar has to be disconnected. Without doing these steps on a second gen Rodeo your axle will not drop enough to do very much of anything. Much less give you enough room to get the new springs in.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The Troopers all have the gas tank behind the rear axle (well, except for 1984 Troopers that have a saddle tank like the early pickups, but if you are installing coil springs in an 84 Trooper you don't need to read this).

The Trooper has a 4-link setup. Two trailing arms, one track bar, and the 4th link connects the top of the differential to a crossmember on the frame. There isn't a link that's near the anything that will hang up.

Lucky us :)

-Tad

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you cheat and use coil spring compressors on the 2nd Gen Rodeo you don't need to disconnect everything, just the shocks. That is if you're just putting in bigger springs (ie, Trooper springs). Anything extra, like spacers, and you would indeed need to disconnect everything. :wink:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Bumping this thread

·
Registered
61 Posts
mudoilngears said:
99isuzorodeo said:
Bumping this thread
Why would you bump a 16 year old thread?
So I can easily find this thread, reading the instructions for coil replacement

Reactions: KYFarmer
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.