Isuzu SUV Forum banner
641 - 660 of 670 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #641 ·
I guess milling down the carrier used to be pretty common on these things. The shop owner this guy bought the gears from had done that on lots of M715's and two of his own. Gonna do some archive searching.

General consensus seems to be that later model axles are a dime a dozen, the stock bolt pattern is a hassle, disc brake options with newer axles... why mess with that old stuff...
But I haven't figured out where they're finding all these cheap axles. The ones I find cheap need to be shipped... which makes them uncheap. The stock wheels can handle up to 38x12.50 tires and I like the look of them. Drum brakes work just as good as disc... IF adjusted on a regular basis.

Those old 4 speeds are tough!

I looked at Ranger overdrives that bolt to the back of the transmission... oh, yeah... my Tcase is divorced..
Expensive!
Also read threads about using another Tcase flipped backwards and used as an overdrive... guessing that one would have to be divorced. If I was still running Chebby I could have used Jamesies 700R4/NNP208 and used the NP205 as overdrive. U-joint nightmare...

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
700r4's though have overdrive , what where you running before with the chev ? The most compact setup was the truck 4speed and 205 case (had that in my blazer) , I was running 38"s with 3:73's which wasn't to bad , drop a gear stand on it and do around 100 .. Probly not the most ideal for a tow rig.. I'm double thinking my Ls choice just slightly , rod bolts $100 , head bolt stud kit $80 since they're torque to yield , now I find out the main cap bolts are the same way !! Grand total just to be able to assemble the thing is about $300 , atleast the Isuzu's reuse the bottom end hardware mind I didn't have to get arp rod bolts ... The gasket sets are still not like the old school prices (guess it depends what brand you're touching) .. Interesting fun fact : the 5.3 has a .425" thick cylinder wall , to bad I only went .030 over ;)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #643 ·
Can you get an NV4500 on there? Probably not as tough as a T19 or NP435 but has an overdrive. Can't remember if those are aluminum or iron case though...

If Bradley is planning ahead for durability then maybe something made out of depleted uranium is in order.

Oh, I had the 2wd 700r4 on my truck with the divorced NP200. Sold that one for R&P money that promptly went to insurance deductible. Still have the married 700r4/NP208 sitting in the corner.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You might consider putting that trans setup in but reliability wise you can't beat a manual .. For me cost and durability are both hand in hand , the five speeds are commonly $1300 to $2000 .. I'm getting my trans and tcase for $300 , not much of a debate , I just got the bill for my engine work , I either need to sell a nut or a kidney :(

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #645 ·
Sell the nut. Not worth as much but in a few years you'd be missing the kidney more.

Oh I'm sticking with the drivetrain setup I have now. No more big changes unless I get a deal on a 4bt. Regearing and maybe taller tires will get it where it needs to be.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Von said:
Sell the nut. Not worth as much but in a few years you'd be missing the kidney more.
Speaking from experience?

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
4.56:1 Brand new 30 years ago, never used.
Now to hunt down bearings and shims and such. And research the offset situation some more

The stock rear gear set has a .50 offset and the new pinion has a .625 offset. Plan is to shave the carrier down an 1/8" to make the difference. Used to be a pretty popular gear swap on these things and I don't plan on doing any rock crawling in it, so ..

IMG_20190501_100904228.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I haven't done anything with the gears yet. But this morning I found $125 worth of Rock Auto gift cards from Christmas in my sock drawer so maybe I'll do something soon.

The truck's been running rich. Haven't been able to set the mix right on the Edelbrock carb and the rough idle... Buggin. So this morning I swapped the 2 barrel back on. Summer so I don't need a working choke.

The adapter plate for the carb is the problem. Crappy flow. Might take a die grinder to it and give it another whirl later on.

IMG_20190528_141043260.jpg

IMG_20190528_141051830.jpg

Maybe. I dunno. Looks like the front 2 barrels will have crappy flow no matter what I do.

After I got it back together I was gonna run to the store for some sweet potatoes... Digging baked sweet potatoes and need to make a sweet potato pie. Backed out of the shop and got about 20 feet and the stupid thing died. At least it was close to the house this time.
Traced it to the HEI power. Got none.
Funny, I pulled the hot wire to the dizzy and turned the ignition on to check it with the meter. Accidentally put the meters neg probe on the battery positive post instead of the negative and the meter showed -12.3 volts.

So... I'm interpreting that to mean it's grounding out...? No blown fuses.
No vlotage at the dizzy but voltage at the relay. It's disappearing somewhere between the relay and the dizzy. Really wishing I'd marked the wires when I run them. "Nah, no time for that crap, I'll remember..."

Had stuff to do so I ran a hot wire straight off the fuse panel to the dizzy and she fired right up. So at least it's not a distributor problem this time. Pulled it into the shop, I'll play with it tomorrow.
IMG_20190528_170621080.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #649 ·
Found the culprit, dirty bastage.

It was me.

When I put the Edelbrock on I put the hot for the electric choke on the same circuit as the HEI.
Yesterday when I swapped carbs I forgot to do something with the choke power wire. It only took that stray wire 20 feet to find the header flange and short out that circuit.

Dumbass.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #650 ·
Finally got around to starting the gear swap. No pics yet. Got axle shafts pulled out enough to get the carriers out and pulled the old pinions.
Odd... in a good way... The M715 axles use all the same bearings and shim as every other Dana 60 and 70 made before mid 90s. Cool. Wish they'd done that with wheel bearings and brake parts...
Got all the parts ordered. Except carrier bearings. Those are newish ones on there. If I need to pull them maybe I can do it without jacking them up.
HOPING I won't have to mess with the shims under the carrier bearings and will only need to jack with the pinion depth. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Yay. Axles popped out, empty housings and a pile of old bearings on the desk.

IMG_20190907_170531232.jpg

IMG_20190907_170617708.jpg

I hadn't posted a pic of the exhaust yet, snapped a pic while I was under there.

IMG_20190907_170720704.jpg

I took the rear carrier to the machine shop. Gotta take 1/8 inch off the ring gear mating surface to allow for the different offset.
In the meantime I'm making setup bearings for the pinions out of the old bearings.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
*sigh*
... ffs ...

I should have just got the install kits. But noooo.... I had to try to save a couple of bucks buying the parts separatly and reusing some parts...

Pinion thrust washers. Got none. Can't find the old ones. Wut up with that? So wasted a few days waiting for new ones from Quad King or whatever they're called. And those are wrong. ID too small and won't fit past the first shoulder on the pinions.
Just ordered more from Denny's Driveshafts, plus a rear baffle and some more preload shims that I thought I ordered before but didn't.
So this vacation is almost over and the truck isn't done.

img(81).jpg

About a year and a half ago my wife went to work out there where I work as a receiver for the Stores contractor, working 7a to 4p. Haaates it out there. It took her about a week to notice that all the old timers like me.. 15+ years (33 for me) are all miserable bastages with terrible attitudes. I could have gone into the causes, economics of it... Tone deaf management obsessed with meetings and micromanaging.. All the businesses that used to compete for local labor being offshored so stagnant wages for the last 15 years... But I just laughed and said Meh, ya get used to it, tell em to FO. They love that.

About 2 months in she figured out HER managers are pretty worthless. About 3 weeks ago her new site manager (27, first management position) decided a whiny fella needed a raise. He thought the only way to do that was to give Whiny my wife's position and put her in Whiny's job working 6a to 6p. And no pay cut for her (why she didn't walk). Plus Whiny got a few dollars more than she's making, and he really sucks at that job.
The schedule is similar to mine so we'd have more days off together but she's a creature of habit. You do NOT jack with her routine. And the kid jacked it ALL up.
The other night they had a night shift counter attendant quit and they're shorthanded big time. 3 people to cover the counter 24/7 and do the receiving and unloading trucks. They get 6 to 12 deliveries a day, big deliveries.
So lots of overtime and some nights work in her future while they take their time hiring and training. More laundry and house cleaning for me... not complaining about that, definitely not out load where she could hear me...
She has other offers but not at her pay level. I told her to take whatever she wants, we'll work out the budget. Sell the BMW if we need to. .... NO! She'll keep looking and tough it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Finally got a chance to work on the truck some more.
Went in for overtime and they said they didn't need me, so I split.

I was messing with pinion depth on the rear axle. Had a pipe wrench on the yoke with a 1/4 inch wall 2" square tubing cheater bar on the pipe wrench. Cheater bar was between the leaf spring and frame.
Tightening up da but and the socket slipped... Then the pipe wrench came down and popped me in the head. Like my fat head doesn't have enough scars on it...
For a minute there I thought I might have been better off staying at work... But then the bleeding stopped. Last time I cut my forehead it also busted an apparently important blood vessel, it wouldn't stop bleeding and I had to go to the ER for stitches.
IMG_20191002_120429656.jpg

Bit of a headache starting... I'll grab a band-aid and some ibuprofen and try to finish the rear axle before my chiropractor appointment.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #654 ·
I didn't get much farther after that. One of the bolt holes for the carrier bearing caps stripped out.
*sigh*
Shopping for helicoil kits...

·
Registered
9,765 Posts
Man, it hurts to even LOOK at that boo-boo. Kind of reminds me of a picture I posted a couple of years ago. Dennis

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #656 ·
DSUZU said:
Man, it hurts to even LOOK at that boo-boo. Kind of reminds me of a picture I posted a couple of years ago. Dennis
Yeah, I seem to remember you getting a boo boo. This isn't too bad, healing up nicely. Itchy scab phase now. Kind of uncomfortable wearing my bump cap at work.

Helicoiled that one bolt hole, chased threadds on the others and called it good. Axle shafts back in. The pinion seal I ordered was wrong, right one will be in tomorrow.
... weirdass axles. I ordered the seals at work and didn't have the old seal part number handy. All the bearings are the same as 1993ish Dodge W350/Cummins axles. But other bits are hit and miss. The Dana 70 on the rear takes some parts from the 70, some 70HD, some 70U.

So waiting on the seal to put the yoke on and left the cover off till it's done. Just in case.

On vacation after Wednesday, maybe I'll get er finished up.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #657 ·
DSUZU said:
I also remember making fun of you for setting traps for yourself.. Karma remembered me making fun of you too.

After I got the rear axle done and all buttoned up, filled with oil... THEN I remembered it still had the setup inner pinion bearing race and setup outer pinion bearing in it. Had to take it all apart, replace those with the new parts and put it back together again.
As I was popping the brand new pinion seal out, I had hammered a screwdriver into it and was prying on it and thought to myself... I'm right in the line of fire when that thing busts loose.. Then it let go and I caught a pinion seal line drive right in the forehead. PING! That one didn't didn't bleed very much.

Finished the front axle yesterday. Took it for a test drive... Wow. What a difference. It's still not a highway runner but will easily keep up with everyone else up to 60.
And the speedometer is accurate now! Checked it with a GPS speedo on my phone, it's right on the money. I thought the old Ford I got the transmission from had 4.10 gears in it so wasn't expecting it to be accurate, I was checking to see how far off it was now. 4.56 with 36 inch tires = 4.10?

I drove it 5 miles or so. Got it up on the highway. All paranoid about noises, waiting for the rear end to grenade... No grenading. The engine and transmission noise is down with the taller gears, can hear the tires howling now. Still a lot of noises I need to isolate... I know the transmission has some rotten bearings in it.

Still need to test the front axle. Rockin Randal and his wife live out at the lake now. Maybe I'll run out there and we can play chase on the trails, he's got a Razor.

$600 and 2 head wounds later... Yeah, still worth it.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #658 ·
I've driven it a few more times, running errands. Drove it to work. Still worth it. Almost civilized.

On to electrical until I rebuild the T18.. It keeps eating ignition relays. I ran out of spare relays from the 15 junk shelves so I bypassed the relay and ran a hot to the HEI straight off the acc fuse block. Guess I'll spring for a not cheap relay.
Still have a pretty good drain on the primary battery I can't figure out and I need to go through the wiring on the instrument cluster lights. Volt meter is the only one lit up.

The oldest boy has been working as a guide/skinner at a high fence ranch in Jack County. He's wading through a lot of briars and mesquite and shredding his jeans and legs. He wanted to get a pair of fire hose pants from Duluth Trading for a 4 day hunt coming up. No time to wait on shipping so he talked his mom into driving him to the Duluth store in Denton. I was off so we all went and took the Mighty Wife's BMW.
Rained cats and dogs. That car continues to impress me. The Maxima we traded for the 328 hydroplaned like a mofo, even with brand new all season rain tires on it. It was awful. In the Bimmer visibility is the limiting factor, not traction. I felt so confident I was using the cruise control in heavy rain at 75mph.

well crap, new plant manager just walked by...

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,190 Posts
Hey Von, haven't seen much action here. But did see one for sale on Dallas CL. Just put in Kaiser in the search. I'll try to post a link. Might add also, I'm retired for more years (23) than I like to remember, but start most days with a cup of coffee and a visit to the planet and usually the local CL. First one I can ever remember seeing for sale. Ever.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=kaiser

Attachments

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #660 ·
itsmehb said:
Hey Von, haven't seen much action here. But did see one for sale on Dallas CL. Just put in Kaiser in the search. I'll try to post a link. Might add also, I'm retired for more years (23) than I like to remember, but start most days with a cup of coffee and a visit to the planet and usually the local CL. First one I can ever remember seeing for sale. Ever.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/search/cta?query=kaiser
So when are you going to go pick it up? One of those will definitely help you pass the time.. like, ALL of your time.

That's not a bad deal. Not great... but not bad.

... I don't remember if a 4.2 will bolt up to the original T98.

641 - 660 of 670 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.