41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Good to see it in its natural element! Sure is a good looking vehicle

·
Registered
65 Posts
For an Old Trooper that one looks pretty good.

I love my Troopers!
Love that space inside.
And that Go Anywhere Looks.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Nice work! As for the gas gauge, have you tried filling up the tank? The sender on my '88 only works when the tank is more than ~3/4 full. Then there's about 20 miles of wild plunging / recovering, then it reads full empty. I think the low level light works, but I'm not going to test it out; I refill after every 200 miles or so, and then the fuel gauge works again. I'm ordering a new sender from Jerry. I'm not sure if I have to drop the tank for this job, or if I can get by with cutting an access hole in the floor; that's a job for later. Today's job is figuring out why the mower won't start, even with a fresh battery... "fun with four wheels" indeed!

Mark

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
red cube said:
Nice work! As for the gas gauge, have you tried filling up the tank? The sender on my '88 only works when the tank is more than ~3/4 full. Then there's about 20 miles of wild plunging / recovering, then it reads full empty. I think the low level light works, but I'm not going to test it out; I refill after every 200 miles or so, and then the fuel gauge works again. I'm ordering a new sender from Jerry. I'm not sure if I have to drop the tank for this job, or if I can get by with cutting an access hole in the floor; that's a job for later. Today's job is figuring out why the mower won't start, even with a fresh battery... "fun with four wheels" indeed!

Mark
Yes, I did fill up the tank and it still read empty. I fiddled with the wiring and go the gauge to move when I grounded it and didn't get any readings from the sender, so I took the sender out of the donor and installed it and now have a working fuel gauge. The low fuel light sensor is mounted to the sending unit, but is a separate part from the float. Luckily I didn't have to drop the tank since the sending unit comes out of the front side of the tank. I will however will be doing the cut a hole in the floor mod for the fuel pump since I saw what a PITA it will be to drop the tank and if the pump goes out in a bad place, I don't want it to take me half a day to change it.

New tires went on today. I bought some 265/75/15 Cooper Discover AT3's. They look great. They aren't load range C like the 30's that came off, so the side walls are bit thinner and I hope I don't have an issue in the future with a punctured sidewall. Now I can drive and not worry about the dry rotted tires blowing out.

Next thing on the list is to figure out why the blower motor doesn't work and get the A/C charged up. I've got some Envirosafe R12 replacement on the way.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I got the blower motor fixed viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87081 and I installed new o rings and charged the system with the Envirosafe R12A. So far so good. A/C is blowing cold.

A few days ago, a bad trans fluid leak appeared at one of the metal tubes going into the radiator. I've got too much money wrapped up in this thing now and didn't want to buy a radiator and had a transmission cooler from a Ford Explorer sitting in the shed. I installed it the other day and it took care of the leak. My phone was on the charger so I didn't take any pics. The next time I have the grille off, I'll take some. So as of right now, everything is operational on the Trooper. It could use some new shocks and I've got some 4 note Cadillac horns I'll be installing and it needs a subwoofer. I need some bass.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I made a last minute decision to drive the Trooper to Moab. Apparently, the engine in my Trooper is a two stroke. Over 1/2 a quart of oil every fill up. I am running on the highway and wondering if it my be a PCV issue. Otherwise it ran great. I drove 834 miles today in 12.75 hours averaging 65MPH and just about 17 MPG.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I was in Moab last year with my Spacer, I had a great time. I hope to be back next year with my Trooper!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
hessmess said:
I was in Moab last year with my Spacer, I had a great time. I hope to be back next year with my Trooper!
I've been there twice. Once with my old Eagle and also with my dirtbike. The dirtbike is probably more fun, but after destroying my shoulder on it a couple years ago, I haven't been back on it.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I thought I would share some pics of the Moab trip. It ran great except for an issue that showed up in Kansas on the way out there where I couldn't let it go past half a tank, otherwise it would feel like it's running out of gas. I do need MO POWA. Once I add bumpers and more gear, it will be too slow for me on extended road trips. It's okay with lower elevations and flat ground, but once it get's into higher elevations, inclines and high winds, it struggles a bit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Dang, I would have loved to have snatched that entire roof off that thing before you sent it to the crusher.

Got this idea about making a tilt up roof Trooper for camping.

That or use it on the stretched Trooper I'm gathering parts for.
That one is going to be a Crew Cab Trooper Pickup!

Oh well!

Moab is a fun place to play.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
SSSRodeo said:
Dang, I would have loved to have snatched that entire roof off that thing before you sent it to the crusher.

Got this idea about making a tilt up roof Trooper for camping.

That or use it on the stretched Trooper I'm gathering parts for.
That one is going to be a Crew Cab Trooper Pickup!

Oh well!

Moab is a fun place to play.
It wouldn't have been cheap to get the roof from Alabama to Texas.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I worked on the fuel pump yesterday to try to figure out what the "running out of fuel" issue was. I cut a hole in the floor to make future fuel pump work easier. The pump that was in it, was installed shortly before the Trooper was taken apart a couple years ago and I didn't see anything obvious that was wrong. I installed the pump from the donor Trooper. Just the pump. I used the same, bracket, hose and sock to just eliminate the pump. I took it for a long drive out to the interstate where there are a bunch of long inclines and it performed flawlessly down to a 1/4 tank. So I guess the pump was the culprit.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I need to cut that hole in mine too.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The a/c fuse kept blowing and it looked like a bad coil in the clutch, so I installed a rebuilt compressor. I took everything out and flushed it. I've got nitrogen at work, so I used it. I got everything back together, but ran out of time to charge it since I had to go out of town for work.

Earlier, I said I would show a pic of the Explorer trans cooler I installed.

I'm in CO for work and found an 86 with a grille. $39 for grille, headlight mounts, side markers and a perfect coolant overflow bottle. Problem is I drove a truck out here, but will be flying home.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I finally got around to getting the A/C buttoned up. I ran into a problem discussed here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87902&p=777039#p777039.

I recharged the system with R152a and it blows cold. It varies between 38-42 but is usually in the 40 degree range according to my cheap thermometer.
$11.xx for a 3 pack at Walmart.

(Yes the plastic spacer is about to slip off in this pic)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I was just reading this yesterday and was wondering where this was at. I am fighting with my AC also and have yet to get it going but I have a new compressor and hopefully this next Friday it will all come together. Did you end up walking away from the grill setup in Colorado? I got mine back on a week ago and I am loving it. My old headlight were all rusted up and watery, the round eyes actually work better due to the poor condition of the stocks.

41 - 60 of 105 Posts