Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the bolts that I am aware of are off, the front to all the way to the back comes off, but its stuck right on the back lower corner! any ideas of what might be goin on? Im afraid to pry and hard cause I am assuming the cover will break.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem... make sure you take all the bolts completely out of the head. And there is one long bolt that you can't see in the middle closest to the firewall...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I must have a funny engine cause I have a 96 3.2, and there are only two bolts back there, I finally got it off, I have no idea what was holding it on.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so im obviously a retard, I dont know why I couldnt find that bolt, but now its busted off in the engine. How big of a deal is it if I leave that one bolt out? Will it for sure leak, i used neoprene gaskets and gasket sealer(I want the oil leaks gone forever). Can I tap out the broken screw throught the valve cover? its a pretty clean and straight break.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well that was a bad idea. LOL I say that because I did the same thing on one.

Here's what I did - was easy and fairly quick. I tool a small pick, the one I have is for splitting insulated wires apart but anything with a sharp, fine, strong point will work. I had to crawl into the engine bay to get to it but was able to use the pick to spin out the remnants of the bolt. Probably it will come out really easy if you can get to it as it has been wrestled around and has no tension on it.

I don't know that it will certainly leak if you don't replace it but I'd encourage you to spend the time to try and remove it if you reasonably can.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Was it the upper, center, or bottom bolt? Because if it's the bottom bolt you can bet your bottom dollar that one will leak if you don't replace it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it was the middle bolt. Yah if it was the bottom corner I would have already tore it back off and pulled it. The mide front bolt on the passenger valve cover wasnt even there and there were no leaks so im gonna try to give this a go still and hope for the best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yup... I did the SAME thing on my '96 Rodeo. Luckily I had already found the bolt and loosened it all the way out so when I snapped it off I was able to back it out of the head with my fingers...

I pretty much guarantee it will leak if you don't extract and replace that bolt...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
on plus side if it does leak when you go to change it the remnants of the bolt will have been soaking in oil so comes out even easier

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yah its still leaking oil, kind of depressing really. I really hate these cars, everytime I try to fix anything something else brakes, my exhaust cracked on the right side to when i jacked up the trans to get a better position on the valve cover bolts, and when I went to pull of the rubber tube air intake the slip tore. I really hate these cars.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What else could be potentially leaking? it seems to drip most on the back drivers side.

·
Registered
227 Posts
And if you didn't start torquing from the center and work outward torquing several times until you reach the proper torque chances are the gasket won't seat properly.

What usually happens is part of the gasket gets snagged on the back cam tower and if you don't use a mechanic's mirror during the process you won't notice it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
What I do with the v6 rocker covers, is hold the new gasket in with a few drops of superglue in a few places. This helps prevent the new seal from falling out while you are putting it back on. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts