Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After its gotten to the point where my starter works only intermittently, I decided I should replace it. But it looks inconvenient to get to, any advice on how to get it off without removing exhaust, or am I looking at the wrong thing entirely?

oh, and its on my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo Sport

Have any of you guys swapped the starter out and can give me some pointers? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The proper way is to move the exhaust. But some have been able to take it apart and rebuild it under there.
If you get a new starter, try to get a name brand one, such as a Bosch. Seems like the China ones dont last too long.

Its common for only the starter contacts to go bad. I spent a whole $8 on them, and it has been working since 2005 without any problems.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Here is a link for those contacts and a really good video on replacing them.

http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/densoparts.html#e57

A new starter will cost a few hundred dollars for a good one. The contacts and plunger kits cost less than $40.00 and a couple of hours getting the starter out to work on and putting it back in place. Its been done without taking the starter off the truck, but its not the easiest thing to do.

Best bet is to lower the exhaust so you can get the whole starter out of the truck and on a bench.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how can you tell if its just the contacts that are bad?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update: I'm not sure if my starter is the problem after some internet research. I turn the key and get a click from somewhere, but just one, not the sound of starter clicking. Then i get nothing. If I let the key go and turn it again sometimes it will do the same thing, just a click then nothing. Eventually, it will start with one of those turns and it just starts, though sometimes it turns over slow at first before starting.
Any idea? I assumed it was a bad starter, but can't find anything online about it.

And i realize this has now become more of a "Drivetrain Problems" thread.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I'm thinking no turn & some times slow turn could be poor contact some place in the ignition circuit. There is a starter relay under the hood right? Maybe swap it with another of the same type (maybe a/c or headlamp relay) and see if issue follows the relay or stays on ignition circuit.

~psguardian

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I've had two fail and both with the symptoms you describe - probably 2-4 times before they give out. Thank goodness one was a manual so i could roll start it. The other was an auto and either needed to change it at the mortuary parking lot or get it towed home.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Mine did the same thing you describe when it failed. I think it was just the contacts in mine but I replaced the whole starter (reman. Autolite). I dropped the exhaust on mine which wasnt easy. Thankfully the nuts on the manifold came off easy enough, but I had to cut the heads off the bolts for the flange on the y-pipe. I ended up just clamping that back together. Worked fine for a few years before I replaced the y-pipe.

It can also do the same symptoms with loose/badly corroded battery terminals.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I'll check the connections just to be sure, but I'll probably end up replacing it. I can get a reman stock starter at autozone here for $110 after core.
Don't look forward to pulling that exhaust down, its awfully rusty. Any body know a really good penetrating oil?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.