Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped by the junk yard today and picked up a couple of things.

Thank you to the doner Trooper for the GREAT looking shift knobs!

also, for my next project I'll be attempting to put 2nd gen Rodeo heater/ac controls where the 1st gen ones are!

Someone said it was possible and I like turn knobs better than push switches.
I'll be starting/documenting this after work tomorrow morning! Stay tuned!

Reactions: ArdWrknTrk

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I have those knobs as well, man they are way better then stock Rodeo ones!

I am excited to see how the HVAC controls fit. :D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UPDATE

Well I got started on the conversion.

Took the dash apart.

First un-attach the cables from their points. The first is on the drivers side above and to the right of the gas peddle.

The 2nd is on the passenger floorboard to the right and a little up.( I had already unattached it before the pic)

The 3rd is behind the glove box. In between the blower motor and the ducting.

Next unscrew the controls and pull them out just a tad so that you can reach the connectors
This is the lights connector

This is the ac button connector. Kind of a bitch to get off. There is a clip on the underside that I had to snap just to get it out. Weird design. It doesn't just pull right off like one would think it would.
I also forgot to take a picture of the main connector. Its and easy pull no problems there.

Next I had to cut a notch in the left side of the mount bracing for it to fit. (Thanks 'disker' for the tip!)

See...

Starting to look good!

Now for the wiring. Fortunately enough Isuzu is smart and uses the same color wires from generation to generation.
And since I was smart I got the clips from the 2nd gen controls along with the control cables. (Thanks 'disker' for the tip on pulling the longer control cables!)

So to keep from wrecking my stock wiring I decided to just add a bunch of male flat pins and plug them into their proper place.

All done crimping!

Well its dark out now and a real bitch to work in the dark. Plus I figured out that the light bulbs in the new controls are burnt out...(took me about 10 minutes to figure that out...) Ill have to pick some up in the morning before I finish up!

Lookin good!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE - COMPLETE

Finishing up.

So its daytime and I can actually see now. So I connected all the right wires to the right ports. Then tape them all around so nothing would come loose (not pictured)

Got all the control cables hooked up and put all in. They seemed a little long but they still worked.

All put back together! Looks really good yeah?!

Night shot. Both bulbs were burned out so I got new ones and painted them. What do ya think?

Oh! Also, my t/gate switch bulb was burnt too. So I fixed that one as well.

ALL DONE! Looks great and works like a charm!

Notes from the build:
- Make sure your bulbs work!
-Check your measurements.
-It takes some cramming but it will all fit in there.
***-Make sure you check your control cables to see they are connected properly. My vent selector nob was screwed up and when I had it set to the top vents it would blow on the feet too. A little adjustment and it works fine now.

Glad to help anyone out if anyone wants to do the same build.

Happy fixin'
-WDoG

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a look at the amigo HVAC controls and they looks the same. I imagine it would work as well. You might run into some clearance issues maybe. But that is what modding is for :) but I think it'll work yeah.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That looks really good!

I've got a 1st gen Rodeo, and I know there is one 2nd gen Rodeo at the junkyard. I'm seriously thinking about headin' out there Saturday to see if I can find the hvac control unit after seeing your post!

What did you do about the wiring harness? Did you cut part of the harness off the donor at the junkyard? I'm a little unclear on exactly what you did..

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Nice job!!!!! Great photos and documentation and the end result looks really great. This should be a Sticky, or Hall of Fame, or whatever it's called.

Regarding painting your bulbs......what did you use for coloring?

wdog118 said:
UPDATE - COMPLETE

Finishing up.

So its daytime and I can actually see now. So I connected all the right wires to the right ports. Then tape them all around so nothing would come loose (not pictured)

Got all the control cables hooked up and put all in. They seemed a little long but they still worked.

All put back together! Looks really good yeah?!

Night shot. Both bulbs were burned out so I got new ones and painted them. What do ya think?

Oh! Also, my t/gate switch bulb was burnt too. So I fixed that one as well.

ALL DONE! Looks great and works like a charm!

Notes from the build:
- Make sure your bulbs work!
-Check your measurements.
-It takes some cramming but it will all fit in there.
***-Make sure you check your control cables to see they are connected properly. My vent selector nob was screwed up and when I had it set to the top vents it would blow on the feet too. A little adjustment and it works fine now.

Glad to help anyone out if anyone wants to do the same build.

Happy fixin'
-WDoG

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife has a lot of paints laying around from her art project stuff.

I used this stuff and it worked great. Dried within minutes and ready to go. AND it peals off easy!

Happy fixin'
-WDoG

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I was wondering if that Acrylic paint can handle the heat those little bulbs put off?

wdog118 said:
My wife has a lot of paints laying around from her art project stuff.

I used this stuff and it worked great. Dried within minutes and ready to go. AND it peals off easy!

Happy fixin'
-WDoG

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems to be working fine. I haven't noticed any thing wrong with the bulbs. Still lit properly and burning strong.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm sure the bulbs will be fine. I'm curious as to the longevity of the acrylic paint. How many days (and/or hours) have the painted bulbs been in use? Humor me. Don't want to be messing with the bulbs too often.

wdog118 said:
It seems to be working fine. I haven't noticed any thing wrong with the bulbs. Still lit properly and burning strong.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I finished it up on the 14th of Oct. I drive it pretty much at least once a day. At night prolly 4-5 times a week. Still look the same color as they did when I put them in. If you do end up painting yours post pics so I can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Gotta make the time, but I will post photos when it happens.

wdog118 said:
I think I finished it up on the 14th of Oct. I drive it pretty much at least once a day. At night prolly 4-5 times a week. Still look the same color as they did when I put them in. If you do end up painting yours post pics so I can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts

2000-2001 VX interior are VERY close to the 95.5-97 dash set up, actually 99 VX HAD 95.5-97 Rodeo dashboards but still had the old HVAC controls, 00-01 had Tropper dashboards....so with the same basic design a 00-01 VX or a Troooper controls should swap over also...neat swap!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts