Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is not a duplicate post but I am considering the purchase of a 1989 4cylinder/5 speed Trooper. The current engine runs but it sounds like a sewing machine and has almost as much power. From what I have read on the web, the four cylinder is an under-powered POS, while the 2.6L six suffers from perpetually blown heads. However, the newer 3.2? DOHC engine has gotten great reviews. Does anyone know if the newer engine is easily backfitted into the 1989 and will it match up with the mounts and five speed manual transmission?

I had a very negative experience many years ago with a so-called "remanufactured engine" for a Honda that lasted a mere 10,000 miles, so I am wary of these supposedly rebuilt engines. Does anyone know of a reliable source for replacement engines? I really need a resource that compares Isuzu engines and lists compatibility or conversion kits required.

8) Karen Dior[/b]

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Karen

Karen

Karen

Karen.........

Might I be the first to say...................................................................

You've been sadly misinformed on this particular breed of vehicle we call the

'Zu

First -

The ISUZU Trooper of that year came with two flavors of motor.

The ISUZU built 2.6L 4-cylinder and the GM built 2.8L V6. This was the first year ISUZU offered the GM 2.8L V6 and was offered through the '91 model year. In 1992, ISUZU revamped the Trooper and then offered its own V6, the 3.2L.

"Power" is a matter of perspective. The Trooper is/was never designed as an on-highway luxo SUV like you see today. Coupled with the MUA transmission, these vehicles were renowned for the off-road capability, most notably their torque/pulling ability.

These particular motors, well cared for are lasting well over 200,000 miles. The 2.6L is a fuel injected 4-cyl with nice large pistons and can pull stumps all day long.

HOWEVER - The stereotype you've fallen victim to is the rep the 2.6 has for blowing heads. In 1989, ISUZU fell victim to a casting flaw in a number of the heads - These heads have the casting number 1 or 2 cast in the rear of the head. It is these heads that have been prone to crack, thus causing misery for many an owner. Subsequent castings 3 and higher have been fine.

There are several manufacturers making heads complete with new valvetrains for these motors. So in a wierd kind of way, ISUZU's problems with these heads has generated an aftermarket support business. A popular one: http://www.aluminumheads.com

As for the 2.8L, well, its GM, what more is there to say. :wink: It has all the typical GM quirks, mainly leaking oil like a sieve. Air Conditioner leaks, you name it. This motor, however, offers the option of being swappable for the much better GM 3.4 found in the later Camaros.

So, as for your specimen; it sounds like a classic head case, but may have also been a victim of abuse. The 2.6 required periodic valve lash adjustment and many owners never did that. But, you can feel for the head cast number on the rear of the head, if its a 1 or 2, this makes a good bargaining tool for a lower price.

The bottom end of the motors are tough and can take a lot of abuse. If the owner has halfway changed the oil like it should, it's most likely OK.

I should also add that the 2.6 in it's latest form is still offered in both the RodeoSport and the Rodeo.

As to what you've read on the web, let me say, you've come to the Choir where the merits of both motors will be hotly debated (and have been), but you will not find anyone calling either a POS ('cept n fun :lol: ). Because the owners here are long-time owners who know the machines well and what they can do.

Another great forum dedicated to ISUZU: http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu (if you haven't already been there). There are also additional links in my sig.

Good Luck.

Cheers,

·
Registered
132 Posts
As was mentioned if you read between the lines, you cna replace a 2.6L with a ...................2.6L You could drop to a 2.3, but I doubt that is your choice for more power.

There are mods that you can do to the 2.6 to make it more "roadworthy", but if you are looking for something to throw you back in your seat, find a 2.8L and when it has problems replace it with a 3.4L

The other options are to replace the majority of the Truck and put in a GM 350, or a Vortec motor or something. This will require replacing the engine, tranny, computer, wiring harness, and fabricating various other components.

I love my 2.6L (with a replaced head) and drive it to work everyday, and to the trails on occassion to ride it hard.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
It's all in what you are expecting out of it. I got my 5-speed 2.6 for it's reliability. If you keep the vavles adjusted and keep it cool you should get a bunch of miles out of it. I have 204,000+ on mine right now.

You will never have acceleration like you will with a V8 with all of the power adders you could think of, it's a 4 cylinder.

I'm getting ready to put a Calmini header and full exhaust system on mine and if I ever do any internals I'll go ahead and put the delta cam in it. Everything works together, and any little gains will help.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Let me tell you, if you want better performance out of a 2.6, a delta cam will make a difference. I got a free K&N and I could notice the difference with it installed (OK, I'll admit it wasn't much, but with the 2.6 every little bit counts), but it was nothing compared to the power gain from the cam.

That was the best money I spent on my 2.6s (both got a cam). The header, cat-back, free-flowing cat, 2.5" exhaust system, k&n, air pump removal, etc all paled in comparison to the cam, and I still passed emissions just fine.

Next time you do a valve adjustment or timing belt, install a Delta cam, it will be money well spent!

-Tad

P.S. If you can figure out how to get me some commission for selling cams, let me know :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have 2 stock cams in the garage. Wanna trade for a Delta??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, but they won't take both of them for the cores, and double my core back :>

I have thought about the delta cam, but I have also heard mixed reviews on it. Some say it is great, others not so great

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
O.K. , this has been a gray area for me & this looks like a good place to clear it up. Nobody comes right out and says it, but I get the feeling that the 2.6 is not swapable with the 2.8 in my 89. Seems like both share the same body & frame. Is it a tranny isue, computer, amount of work etc. Seems like it should be doable.

I'm new to the Trooper scene. I got mine for 150.00. Slick body, bright red, new tires, good brakes, etc. The top end was blown of cource. Put a new head & valve assy on it, new exhaust manifold & got it running well enough though it has some issues. Cant get the timeing to come in for one. Vacuum system was totally trashed when I got it, got that pretty well worked out. Sounds like a thrashing machine to me, Idle problems. etc.

Bottom line is I was thinking of converting to the V-6 rather than dumping more work & cash into the 2.6.

Pros & cons?

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is a very intense process, because the computer is different, and the transmission. So that means the wiring harness is different :>

If I was in that situation, I would just find a donor vehicle, like a blazer with a vortec V6 or something and just strip everything that I need. I know a lot of guys are doing the 302, 350 or the cadillac v8 swap.

It is all a matter of money and time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I'm a noob on this forum but not to Troopers or 4Xfora.

I've been contemplating a 2.3 TDI in my '86 Trooper. I've only done a brief search on this site but my searches on 4X4wire have yielded very little info. This may be due to my impatience however if someone is willing to give me more info than I've been able to glean so far I would be grateful.

I noticed on some parts site that the part numbers for the clutch for the 2.3 petrol and the 2.3TD are identical. Is the bellhousing for these two engines the same? How about motor mounts?

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.