Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom had her trans rebuilt by my bro in law then rebuilt/replaced by a trans shop shortly after cause it went out again. It has been leaking since from the trans pan gasket/bolts and she brought it back to the shop once but it is now out of the 30 day warranty by a long time.

What are the torque specs for the main trans pan bolts? I looked at them a month ago and they were very loose so I tightened them some. Before I tightened them I noticed the pan gasket was split in about 4 places.

During tighting I found out 2 of the threads in the trans are stripped out from the shop. The 2 bolts are separated by a good bolt if that matters. I also checked the fluid and it wasnt more than 1/2 qt low. After driving for a few weeks it was still leaking.

It has been sitting for 1.5 weeks cause of another unrelated problem but has continued to leak. Today I dropped the pan and was gonna re-tap the 2 threads but my tap kit is mia.

Would I be safe to just replace the gasket and use gasket sealer/maker? Do i need to use trans specific gasket sealer? I dont know the pressures exerted on the pan i.e. is the pan just a resivior(sp?).

Also the speedo hasnt worked since the first trans swap. I replaced an external part on the trans but it still dosent work. A neighbor mechanic Was months ago so I dont remember but it was a $75 part. Gas mileage is horrible at 12mpg and it seems the torque converter isnt locking up. Engine runs great and doesnt miss a beat.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
96 inch lbs is the torque for the pan bolts.

I would actually spring for a gasket, because if you use any sealer you have to be sure the surfaces are clean.
And in all the times I changed the trans filter and gasket, the surface will always have trans fluid dripping on it.
Make sure you dont drive the trans low on fluid. That shop sounds like they did a crappy job.
Its no wonder why they only have a 30 day warranty. :roll: From my experience with gaskets.
The rubber ones tend to deform or harden, even just right after installation.

This is the filter that I have been using. No leaks so far and its tough.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dae said:

I would actually spring for a gasket, because if you use any sealer you have to be sure the surfaces are clean.
And in all the times I changed the trans filter and gasket, the surface will always have trans fluid dripping on it.
Make sure you dont drive the trans low on fluid. That shop sounds like they did a crappy job.
Its no wonder why they only have a 30 day warranty. :roll: From my experience with gaskets.
I meant to use a new gasket and put gasket sealer on it. Maybe just gasket sealer on the pan only as I can get that clean of ATF before reinstall.

I was just gonna get a gasket and filter from Advance Auto for $26 to see if that stops it. I see they have a similiar price but the owner/mother kinda wants her car back on the road and I would have to wait another week cause of the weekend and parts coming from CA to FL.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
A light coat shouldnt hurt. But I never had a need to do that on my truck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Dae said:

This is the filter that I have been using. No leaks so far and its tough.
Most sealers are inappropriate for use on an automatic transmission as they can contaminate the fluid. Clean the surfaces and use an appropriate gasket. Many experiences trying exactly what he is proposing ,and failing miserably have told me,do it right or its just not going to work. Gasket sealer is not going to be a substitute for bolting down the pan properly. I would get those bolts fixed and get some good gaskets. Look at where the bolts are. Some come through to the other side of the flange. Those may be replaceable with a longer bolt that can come all the way through and grip the threads that remain in the hole. I have one on my tranny like that. It was stripped when I got it and the pan leaked.
Second choice is to use a thread repair kit.

Sealer is just going to risk another transmission failure and cause more leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.