Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to remove the rear axle? The Haynes book shows a c-clip in the differential and says the vechicle has drum brakes. My vechicle has 4 wheel disks. I need to change a axle seal. thanks

·
Registered
113 Posts
The disc brake models do not have c-clips. Just remove the brake caliper and the 4 bolts that hold the shaft in, and the shaft will slide out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK then I am not nuts, I guess the book is wrong. I did remove the caliper and the 4 bolts, the axle will still not come off, I made up a slide puller and have been pounding on it to no avail. Any suggestions?

thanks for your response...Leo

·
Registered
113 Posts
Don't use a slide puller, until you can figure out why it isn't coming out. If it was working right, a 2 year old could pull them out.

Does your axle have a third member, or just a diff cover?

If it has a third member, you are missing something. If it has a diff cover:

Pull it off
Remove the cross pin
push the axleshaft in, and remove the c-clips.

·
Registered
566 Posts
There are no c clips. Yah the book is wrong.

On my 95, I was having trouble getting them to slide out also, and I pounded on em with the slide hammer to no avail. The thing that finally worked was the place where the flanges mount up was a little rusty, and I took a chisel and tapped all around the crack and it came right off. Hope that makes sense.

mike
________
Nash metropolitan

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
I didn't specify where it is because I don't know. On the Trooper (12-bolt) axle it is mounted to the axle tube, right behind the brake backing plate.

I thought I was doing the right thing by using the right tool (a slide hammer) instead of two screwdrivers to get the axle shaft out. As it turns out the right tool was my brain, which I had firmly planted in my a**. Live and learn.

-Tad

(Expensive was around $350 in this case, since Isuzu only sells the sensors as a pair for my year Trooper. I was able to modify a front sensor to fit the rear axle, but it still wasn't cheap at around $120)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With a lot of "hammering" with the slide hammer the axle broke free. Looks like I have to take it to a machine shop to get the bearing and race pressed out. It also looks like the seal "autozone" gave me might be wrong. There seemed to be some confusion when I bought it over which axle I had.

Just for everyones information the Haynes repair manual is wrong, you have to follow the procedure for the "amigo" and not the Rodeo/Passport.

thanks for everyones help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts