Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I signed up for a Jeep Forum, and a Jeep Cherokee forum, because I thought "hey, maybe these guys will provide some insight and advice on my purchase."

Nope.

2 weeks in and not a single response to my build thread on either site. Everyone is wrapped up in what they are doing and I've yet to find a more engaging site than Planet Isuzoo. I know to some of you it's blasphemy to own a Jeep. I don't really understand that, but to each their own.

I loved my Axiom. I always felt like it got a bad rap among the offroading & the Isuzu community. It was a more luxurious Rodeo. Heated seats, an exterior design that still looks modern even after 12 years... But I digress. I sold her for reasons you can read about in my build thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=52383&start=100#p640096

Anyway, I bout a 2000 XJ. I love it. It was originally a police vehicle for the first 17,000 miles (Police chief, so no criminals in the backseat and no drill holds for a police radio.) The police package on Jeep's were picked out individually by each precinct. Mine came with nothing out of the ordinary other than a more heavy duty suspension. It lived in Wisconsin until 2003. It was sold to a civilian in Michigan where it lived until this year. It had 98,XXX miles on it at the time of purchase (I bought it in Nashville).

The PO must have loved their Jeep because it's one of the cleanest 13 year old vehicles I've ever seen. When I installed the 3" RC lift, it had virtually no rust. It was incredible. When I dropped it off for the new tires to be installed, the guy at the shop commented "What year is this? I thought they stopped making them 10-15 years ago." Seriously, I can't believe how new everything on it looks.

Anyway, I've already installed a new Kenwood head unit/iPhone media player. I also spent the last few days coating the bumpers & all exterior plastic parts in Bedliner. The biggest complaint I have of newer vehicles is that the manufactures decided to cover them in plastic. BUT a little bedliner and it looks new again.

Since I had a few dollars left over from getting such a good price on the Jeep, I immediately ordered a 3" Rough Country suspension lift w/ new leaf pack. I also ordered a set of 31" BFG A/T's and found a set of 16" Rubicon wheels on Craigslist.

I've also bought and installed a complete new Yakima rack. There's something about those that make a truck really stand out. Plus the 58" bars mean I can carry more than 2 kayaks.

This is what she looked like the day I bought her.

New lift, new tires, & new Yakima rack:

I sanded down the rear stock bumper and bedlined it too for the time being. I just dropped a ton in the last week, so upgrading the bumpers might be a little ways away.

I also got the Rugged Ridge AT Floormats which fit perfectly.

List of things still to do in no particular order:

Tire Mount Hitch (Detours)
Taillights (Already ordered & on the way)
Modern corner & turn signal lights (Already ordered & on the way)
Infinity Speakers
Cargo Liner
Antenna-X Stubby Antenna
Rock Sliders
Skid plates
New Differential Cover
D-Rings
Tail light guards (which are surprisingly hard to find.)

And somewhere way down the road, an ARB locker.

More pics to come. And I know, I know, you guys hate Jeeps. Go easy on me.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Don't worry about "the jeep people" some of them can be ----'s :mrgreen:

Lots of friends have XJ's and a bunch race them, I don't like them because of all the "verticle" pillars,it makes me feel cramped

Nice build by the way :wink:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bansil said:
Don't worry about "the jeep people" some of them can be ----'s :mrgreen:

Lots of friends have XJ's and a bunch race them, I don't like them because of all the "verticle" pillars,it makes me feel cramped

Nice build by the way :wink:
I've gotta admit, it does feel slightly more cramped than my Axiom. It was just so freaking hard to find any aftermarket parts and accessories for that thing though.

And thanks!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Nice looking XJ. Those can be very nice rigs and can go lots of places. They are fairly easy to mod and there is a ton of aftermarket for them so that will make things easier for you. I never really thought of it but thinking back on when my brother had an XJ, both his and his buddies seemed pretty small inside of the cabin. We took those places we probably shouldn't like on mountain logging roads in the middle of winter with a few feet of snow at night, and no real recovery gear either. Not the smartest times but seriously fun. Anyways good luck, have fun and keeps us updated.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That's a great lookin' XJ !!! The Rubi wheels and lift really set it off. Looking forward to the build thread on this. Congrats on the purchase. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bsnafu1221 said:
Nice looking XJ. Those can be very nice rigs and can go lots of places. They are fairly easy to mod and there is a ton of aftermarket for them so that will make things easier for you. I never really thought of it but thinking back on when my brother had an XJ, both his and his buddies seemed pretty small inside of the cabin. We took those places we probably shouldn't like on mountain logging roads in the middle of winter with a few feet of snow at night, and no real recovery gear either. Not the smartest times but seriously fun. Anyways good luck, have fun and keeps us updated.
That does sound pretty awesome. Don't take those mountains for granted, I hate how much flat land we have down here.

I'm currently seeing just how much stuff I can push off as "needs," to my wife. I don't have a hitch or a tow bar, so I keep telling her I "need," this new bumper because it has a hitch mount included.

Somehow, she continues to allow me to purchase these things.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ekholm1997 said:
That's a great lookin' XJ !!! The Rubi wheels and lift really set it off. Looking forward to the build thread on this. Congrats on the purchase. :mrgreen:
Thanks man. As with nearly every SUV that's ever been made, I don't know why they didn't come from the factory this way. A 3" lift and 31" tires don't look abnormal at all, they simply make an SUV look like an SUV.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've ordered new lights all around. Headlights, corner & bumper lights & tail lights. This is just a Photoshop but it's what it should look like:

Hopefully they're coming in later this week. If I can sell my Yakima Load Warrior basket, I'll be getting that new rear bumper sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As she sits today. Gunmetal wheels, new rear tire carrier (U-bolt broke so i'm having to use ratchet straps in the meantime to hold it in place.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
This makes me miss my XJ. You'rs is in much much nicer condition tho lol. I was on a 4.5" lift with 32x11.5 goodyear wrangler mtr kevlars, cut fenders, 2x6 rockers/sliders and lots of rust, and lunch box lockers front/rear. It was a BEAST offroad, had WAY over 200k miles on it, had been rolled, tipped over on its side, in water almost up to the windows, ran with water in places it didnt belong (trans, differentials, a tiny bit in the engine) but it just kept on going.. I eventually gave up on it when the front of the leaf springs punched through the floor due to rust and and being very very hard on it regardless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts