Isuzu SUV Forum banner
501 - 510 of 510 Posts
Red Beans has always been one of my favorite Troopers, so I'd like to see you
"Pull new motor from Black beans for Red Beans?"

Maybe it's a burnt valve. At least something to check once it's down, especially if you see no sign of gasket leakage.

squatch said:
I pulled the plugs and did a compression test. I found the problem.
1) 164
2) 164
3) 115
4) 175

Looks like the head gasket didn't take! I'm pretty sure the block needs to be decked. So she needs a rebuild or a new motor. Shame as the bottom end and cylinder bores are fine, The compression numbers show this.
Ouch.

I'd finish Blackbeans but with 4.56 gears. That way you don't have to mess with the front, at least now. That would give you a running Zu and a pickup so you don't have to mess with the camper. Once the pickup is running, the pressure comes off. Then you can decide what to do with Redbeans.

Discussion starter · #504 ·
Ed Mc. said:
Maybe it's a burnt valve. At least something to check once it's down, especially if you see no sign of gasket leakage.
It's not a burnt valve. The head is fairly new and only has 1ok miles on it. When I redid the gasket the saddles between 2+3 and 3+4 were suspect for erosion. The block needs decked.

Mario at this point I'll probably just leave the 4:77's in Black Beans so I can tow the boat. 4:56 would require dropping the front axle as well. The front has 4:30 in it.

Red Beans runs just not great. So for now she'll be used for a yard tug and firewood hauler.

Realistically Black Beans is in much better shape at the moment.

Discussion starter · #505 ·
Without the pics Photobucket has been holding hostage this thread is useless. The pics have now been deleted from Photobucket and I'm declaring this thread dead.

I'm blaming the North Koreans. Shame, that was a LOT of info Mark. Dennis

I second that. Strange, I was just thinking about Mark, his passing, and his family today. Hope all is well (or as well as can be). Dennis

Third.
I can reach out to the ag_admin or you guys can and you tell them we all know him on and offline.
His Trooper lives on in Dacula GA in good hands at Jerry's place.

501 - 510 of 510 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.