Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hello again,

I thought I would continue with pics in the more appropriate forum of "Member's Rides" instead of continuing under the "New Member Introductions" I started. Here's the link with the pictures showing what the Trooper looked like before I bought it ... https://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopi ... 24&t=83985

... Start there, then continue on below ...

So after I had the engine completely rebuilt upon purchase, I drove it back to Montana. Took it for our first camping trip and got the OK from the wife. Later, I found some used Thule gutter-mount crossbars on Craigslist, and then a week or so later some kayak racks that were brand new. I spend a lot of time on the various lakes and rivers in the area, so this was a must. I can now carry more than my truck!

IMG_6626.jpg

My wife's cousins were moving and had some studded winter tires for sale. $100, used only one winter, 31/10.5-16 from his Toyota, rims and all ... gave my new Trooper a more beefy look ... at least during the winter months. I'm going to run the Bridgestone Dueler tires that were on it from purchase just one more year, then they too will get an upgrade.

IMG_0706.jpg

The original spare tire cover was cracking and too small for the spare, and Amazon had a cheap solution. The red lettering didn't quite match the color of my Trooper but it will stay on only when the rig is parked while I'm away at work. Otherwise, when I take it for trips, the cover will be off. Looks better with the spare showing, I think. Also, just last month, some more hunting around on Craigslist awarded me with a great find. A used but in excellent condition Thule M.O.A.B. (Mother of all Baskets) roof basket with the center extension. The seller had it in his garage for years and said he didn't use it anymore. The price was so good I couldn't pass it up, and then he threw in 4 more sets of Yakima crossbars and mounts on top of the deal for no extra charge. Winning! Anyway, here is what it currently looks like ...

IMG_7886.jpg

IMG_7883.jpg

Some cons: No Air Conditioning. Sure, during the winter in Montana is not a problem, but summers can heat up and it would be good to have. My first Trooper had AC and it was a really nice feature. Speaking of winters, my heater does not produce the heat I remember my first Trooper kicked out on cold winter days in Alaska. One of my top priorities when I get back home again is to get the heater working at full capacity. Also a minor fix needed is the brakes. The seller told me he had new brakes recently done, and I've had shops verify that they are new with lots of meat left. However, these brakes squeal every time I use them. Not sure why, but it is definitely annoying. I don't really care about the looks people give me like "Hey buddy, get your brakes fixed before you crash into me." But the squeal has got to go!!

Near future upgrades: The ARB bull bar I scored will go on as soon as I get home! After it's powder coated first, of course. I'll be sure to post pics! And in the spring, a new set of tires for off-road travel. Aisin manual hubs. Possibly a lift, but nothing more than 3". Oh, and the underside will get thorough wash and coating this fall. Montana salts their roads. A real bummer!!

So that's it for now. More to come in October/November. Gotta earn some money to spend on it. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
The squealing brakes will go away if you bed them in.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shaggydoink said:
You've done a nice job thus far, subscribed so I can follow your progress! :thumbup:

Shaggy
Thanks Shaggy. Greatly appreciated

As for the brakes, I've tried driving with slight brake pressure to "wear them in", followed by a good cool-down so as to not cause warping. They still squeal and I'm going to start replacing bit by bit until the squeal is gone. It's been 2 years now, so plenty of time to wear off any coating the brakes may have had. Then again, the brakes work well so it's a dilemma.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Very cool...the long wheelbase 2 doors are some of my favorite troopers. Can't wait to see if with the ARB bar on there!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah it'll be nice with an arb winch bumper.

·
Registered
9,870 Posts
Brake squeal could be bad rotors. My left rear rotor had a "pattern" in it from being turned. On occasion, it would squeal earning my Trooper the nickname "Garbage truck". Dennis

Reactions: GoneTroopin

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DSUZU said:
Brake squeal could be bad rotors. My left rear rotor had a "pattern" in it from being turned. On occasion, it would squeal earning my Trooper the nickname "Garbage truck". Dennis
Thanks for the input, Dennis. The rotors are still suspect in my mind as the squeal has a rhythmic pattern to it, but the guys who inspected it upon request said everything looked fine. It might have very subtle warping. When I swap over to the studded tires I will take a closer look. I will have a parts rig to cannibolize soon, so there will be some swapping out of bits and pieces for sure.

Everyone's thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
onemanarmy said:
Ready for the ARB pics. Gonna coat it black? Where did you score that?
Yes, I'll fix the bent winch ring and powder coat it black. Sounds like I'll need to replace the cable on the Warn M8000 too. Check out the post under Classifieds ... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83672

I'm pretty stoked. :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
213 Posts
ARB is on the move. The Trooper was picked up by a friend of mine and he will assess how much it will take to get it running again. The plan is to drive it home to Montana and swap some parts around once I get it there. More to follow ...

image[4].jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Montanan! Subscribed!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, the ARB is still at my friend's house. Unfortunately, he and I have nearly opposite work schedules and only overlap 1 week of OFF time to organize getting together. I have to be patient! :(

In the meantime, I thought I would share a couple of fun trips where I had "gone trooping" last weekend. (Man, that's corny!)

My daughter and I took the Trooper up to one of our favorite lakes in NW Montana last Saturday and played around on some of the dirt roads ... all muddy this time of year with rain and some light snow. It's hunting season, so we didn't stray too far off the main roads, especially since I hadn't really loaded up any tools or gear for any serious off-roading, but they were fun enough.

The next day, the whole family decided to head up into Glacier National Park for the day. Again, muddy roads with potholes and puddles made for some fun driving. Nothing too extreme with my family on board. Instead of going into the main part of the Park where most tourists go, we traveled up the North Fork of the Flathead River to a small town called Polebridge. Not a whole lot there, especially in the winter time, except for an amazing little mercantile store that has been there since 1914. In fact, it has one of the best bakeries and that alone is worth the drive. The drive is about 30 miles on a dirt/mud road along the river with lots of spurs to other forest service roads and camp sites. Also, the river was producing an eerie fog which added an mystical feeling to our adventure.

Signs on the way to Polebridge were saying the bakery was closed for the season, but when my wife checked their website in the morning, it said they were still open. Only one way to find out! Arriving into Polebridge, we were all a bit sad to find that the bakery was indeed closed, but it was still fun to look through the windows and check out the old trading post items on the walls and shelves. The sign in the window said "See you again in January" so only assuming they will reopen for snow mobilers once the holidays are over.

Anyway, I thought the fog and the building with the Trooper parked in front was kinda cool ...

IMG_8001.JPG

We continued on driving in the fog, crossed the North Fork and entered into Glacier National Park. The Ranger Station was closed for the season, but the road was open and signs welcomed anyone coming in at that entrance. We took a 6 mile one lane dirt/mud road to go find one of the many glacial lakes tucked away in the mountains.

IMG_8016.JPG

We saw several White Tail deer, no moose or bears (bears should all be high up in the mountains ready to hibernate, if not doing so already), but climbed the road further up into the mountains. When we finally reached Bowman Lake, we had left the river fog behind and the views were outstanding!

IMG_8009.JPG

And another photo without the Trooper ...

IMG_8012.JPG

So, just a fun day and great to have a vehicle that the my family and I can use to go explore such a beautiful part of our country!

More to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Nice. Is that road open year round? What's your Cajun connection?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mtman said:
Nice. Is that road open year round? What's your Cajun connection?
The road to Polebridge and up to the border is open, but not the border itself. Border crossing closes in the winter. Not sure about that Park entrance. That road only goes to Bowman and Kintla Lakes, and I'm sure they are not plowed once the snow takes over. Snow mobiles have access, I think.

Cajun connection ... I work overseas and one of the guys I work with lives in Lake Charles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Update on the '86 grille retrofit ... The plastic grille itself is in great shape, after all the mud and moss was washed off. The emblems are good too, only each emblem only had one mounting clip on the back side, but it will work. All the plastic tabs for securing it to the body were there and none broken. At least not yet!! :lol:

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7978.jpg

The headlight mounts show a lot of rust from mud having sat on them for several years.

IMG_7986.JPG

IMG_7987.JPG

But today was great! I took these mounts to a buddy's shop and put them through the sand blaster. Practically good as new! A bit of pitting, but structurally very strong still. Next is to paint them black with Rustoleum's black rust inhibitor paint, and then in they go. Wish I had though of taking pics of the mounts after sand blasting ... :oops: Tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Registered
996 Posts
Cool! Phosphoric acid also works well for rust repair. You might consider self etching primer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
mtman said:
Cool! Phosphoric acid also works well for rust repair. You might consider self etching primer.
Thanks for the tips. Phosphoric acid sounds like I would hurt myself, but the etching primer is a good idea. :idea: Here's how they turned out after spending some time in the sand blaster ...

IMG_8077.JPG

Next is paint, but temps have dropped well below freezing here now, so that might have to wait. So will the rest of the grille. I don't want to break any of the plastic being that it's now so cold and brittle. I guess I can live with it until spring. :(

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts