Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all the off-roaders out there..

What is the story with factory recovery points on the Trooper (a 2002)? Looking under the bumper, I see a pretty beefy tie-down hook - which looks strong, but I wouldn't want to use it for a recovery, and then on the other side, there is a ring that doesn't look quite as heavy-duty, but it looks like it would take a shackle.

Is the ring strong enough for recovery purposes? Are there jate rings or anything available? What is the best recovery point?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Both can be used for recovery, but if you are using a strap use the tow hook. The rear should have a tow hook on the right side. You can use the trailer hitch as a recovery point as well if you have one. If you have one locally, Tractor Supply has 3" (30,000lb) recovery straps with reinforced ends for a good price. If you are ordering online I'd just buy from Independent 4x though.

-Tad

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool - thanks!

I have shackles and a recovery strap, I just wasn't sure which one Isuzu had intended as the primary point to use...I think I am going to see if I can replace the hook with something that incorporates a D-ring, or something I can hook a shackle too - just to avoid the possibility of a runaway strap.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The "ring" is probably the tie-down point. These are intended for tying down the vehicle during transport from the factory, and are NOT intended as recovery/tow points. They can work for light duty, but should not be used for serious stuck situations. That is specifically what the tow hook is for...

Oh, and there should be a discussion of this in the owners manual.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.