Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can't find a good used 2001 4l30e decided to try a rebuild myself. I am a retired mechanic but never got into transmissions because good used ones are usually easy to find. Do I really need all the specialty tools ?
Whos our planet isuzu 4l30e guru ? Any tips would help.

· Registered
1,238 Posts
Trying to go by memory at the moment, Im certain the 4 shaft bearings all have to be pressed on. There is a special tool to remove & install the bearings. Luckily the bearing installer is easily made with an old race and a piece of water pipe. A 12 ton press are no longer expensive too

Other than that if my memory serves me right,
A transmission or differential bearing splitter, bolt and three jaw puller set, calipers, dial indicators, steright edge, feeler gauges & torque wrench you will need but you probably already own.

perhaps someone who regularly builds automatic transmissions will chime in and verify.

· Registered
12,555 Posts
As you can see by reviewing the PDF and watching the video you don't need bearing pullers, gear pullers or a 12 ton press, etc because there are no gears or bearings to remove. A few members have successfully rebuilt a 4L30e, if you go slow when you take it apart and take lots of photos you probably can get back together properly.
TIP Don't loose the small check balls when you remove the valve bodies.

· Registered
12,555 Posts
00-02 Trooper uses a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) system so the Torque Converter you use has to be a PWM compatible type. The PWM TC uses a special Woven Carbon Fiber friction material. I don't know which is the best brand to use but be sure you use the correct type or you will be replacing the Torque Converter because the friction material will burn up if not the correct type.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts