Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You heard me. Can it be done? Should it be done?

You may know from my other threads that I have a body damaged 2nd Gen, and am working on buying a 1st Gen for parts that looks to have a good body but a rotting frame.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
2nd gen axles are like 6" wider - don't know if this applies to the frame, but certainly the wheels and such would stick way out compared to the body. But if you swap axles too, I guess. Jerry Lemond would be a good guy to talk to about this...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I could use a tape measure and find out. The thought just popped into my head at work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hold tight, if I can't get my 1st gen running next week, it may be for sale.
:wink: :wink:

100% Rust free! Not to mention I love a fabrication challenge!

Pete

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So are you saying that you want to sell your Trooper to me, or you want to buy my 2nd Gen? It's very cheap (nearly cheap-as-free if I knew it would be used for a good cause), and I'd trust it to drive to Colorado. Though you would probably want to wear a motorcycle helmet since it has no windshield.

I like those colors by the way.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Red0ktober said:
So are you saying that you want to sell your Trooper to me, or you want to buy my 2nd Gen? It's very cheap (nearly cheap-as-free if I knew it would be used for a good cause), and I'd trust it to drive to Colorado. Though you would probably want to wear a motorcycle helmet since it has no windshield.

I like those colors by the way.
Either way, like I said I love a challenge! My wife may kill me! :?

This is the current project (oh yeah I forgot about the Trooper!)

It's getting D60 upfront, 14 bolt rear, and V8

·
Registered
480 Posts
Anyone ever get around to measuring for this to see if it would be possible?

Actually, I just wanted to see if the frames were similiar so i could flop the coil suspension on a 1st gen trooper.

·
Registered
480 Posts
So, reading another post after I searched dsicovered smiley's conversation with Rubo, er argument or discussion, that the wheelbases are different. That being so, they could have stretched the ceter of the frame and left the width and rear curvature over the rear axle the same.

Does anyone have access to measure a 1st and 2nd gen trooper to see of the 2nd gen rear suspension could be cut off and welded under a 1st gen trooper?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
VX1032 said:
So, reading another post after I searched dsicovered smiley's conversation with Rubo, er argument or discussion, that the wheelbases are different. That being so, they could have stretched the ceter of the frame and left the width and rear curvature over the rear axle the same.

Does anyone have access to measure a 1st and 2nd gen trooper to see of the 2nd gen rear suspension could be cut off and welded under a 1st gen trooper?
WELL IT WILL LOOK KINDA FUNNY, HERE ARE A FEW MEASUREMENTS , ,, THOSE FRAMES STARTING IN 87 WHEN THEY STARTED WIDENING THE TRACK WIDTH, YOU WOULD SURPRIZED HOW CLOSE THE FRAME S ARE IN SIZE ,

87-91 TROOPER ALL OF THEM

RR TRACK WIDTH, THIS IS CENTER OF TIRE TO CENTER OF TIRE STOCK

87-91 92-94 95-2002
RR 1400 MM RR 1495 MM RR 1518.9 MM
FRT 1390 MM FRT 1490 MM FRT 1513.8
WHL BASE 2650 MM W.B 2760 MM WB 2760

FRAME WIDTH ON THE 92-2002 TROOPERS WERE ALL THE SAME AT THE FRT 766 MM WIDE AND THE REAR 1020 MM

THE BODIES WERE OF COURSE A GOOD BIT WIDER THAN THE OLDER ONES BUT ALL THEY DID IS MAKE THE FRAME OUT RIGGERS LONGER, OTHER THAN THE WHEEL BASE LENGTH IT WOULD NOT BE THAT HARD TO PUT AN OLDER MODEL ON THE LATER FRAME SINCE 99 % OF THE FRT SUSPENSION IS THE SAME ,

WHAT WOUDL BE NEAT IS TO TAKE THE OLDER MODEL 4 DOOR AND MOUNT IT ON THE LATER FRAME , FILL THE ARE BEHIND THE REAR DOORS AND NOW ADD A PICKUP BODY OF SOME SORT WITH ALLMOST 4.5 INCHES OF WHEEL BASE LENGTH , JERRY

·
Registered
480 Posts
Those measurements are from center of tire to center of tire, and no frame rail to frame rail measurement for the 1st gen troopers. You don't happen to have that?

That would determine if the rear suspension is swappable. without having to reconfigure the rear suspension geometery.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
VX1032 said:
Those measurements are from center of tire to center of tire, and no frame rail to frame rail measurement for the 1st gen troopers. You don't happen to have that?

That would determine if the rear suspension is swappable. without having to reconfigure the rear suspension geometery.
I WILL SEE IF I HAVE THOSE FRAME RAIL SPECS , I SHOULD HAVE THEM HERE SOME WHERE JERRY

·
Registered
480 Posts
It would be great if you do, if you I can compare the rear frame sections of the 88 and the VX when I get home to see if this would be possible. I think and old style trooper with the newer suspension at all corners, with the shorter WB would rock off road and till have good size. The extra WMS to WMS would be great for stability and easily covdered by fender flares, thinking something tube and sheetmetal detachable but joined to the sliders and steel bumper. Just planning the whole truck out.

I know we have a number of people that live in this state, and that is great and all, but I hate having to spend a whole week on the road away from the house in this state.

·
Registered
870 Posts
if you want a rust free trooper buy mine........

ha ha ha..

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I have to say, the current project looks like a lot of fun :)

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pleased to see that people are taking my idea seriously!

·
Registered
480 Posts
okay, so I came home eearly from WV, got under the VX and the Trooper, and looked at the rear suspensions. Measurements for the frame widths are the same. frame shapes look to be the same too. The 1st gen troopers are missing the crossmember for the upper link, and the rear crossmember that the spring pockets attach to.

Someone could easily weld in a new cross member for the upperlink, and make spring pockets a new crossmember, while removing the one rear crossmember from the old trooper that is directly above the axle to open up room for the springs.

It looks like the longer 2nd gen frame is simply stretched in the middle and has different crossmembers, but the frame rails are the same.

I would really like *hint hint* for some person to make a kit for a coil rear suspension since I might have an issue making or transfering spring pockets and what nots, but it seems this might be how I am going to do my 1st gens rear suspension.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Now, forgive my ignorance, but what are the advantages to coil?

I have not yet modified my Trooper outside of the engine bay (and I've had it eight years).

·
Registered
480 Posts
more flex, less metal hanging down, and it comes with a wider axle out of the newer troopers so more stability offroad, though fender flares would be a must.

Course I might be crazy.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a trooper with coils, it ended up on it's side. My Troopers with leafs (leaves?) met no such fate.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Red0ktober said:
I had a trooper with coils, it ended up on it's side.
You make it sound like there wasn't anybody driving it...

Anyway, coils can do this:

Leafs can't...more wheels on the ground equals more traction.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts