Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I just joined this forum. I have a concern/question with my 97 Rodeo. The best way to describe this noise is like a spaceship hum/whistle whenever I'm driving. Doesn't make it when I'm at a stop only moving. It seems to be in the rear. Has anybody experienced this or can give me any advice? It's only been 1 week that it has been doing this but I need to fix this soon. Any advice is appreciated.

:?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would start by checking the oil level in your rear differential. Remove the plug and stick your finger in the hole, if fluid is just to the bottom of the hole, it's full. If not, add until it pours out and screw the plug back in.

If the oil level is fine, look at the brakes on the rear wheels.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Check your Differential fluid now!

A new rear end will cost you big $$$. Some joker put motor oil in mine before I bought it and stripped out the fill plug. I started hearing some whirring noise right before the spider gear ate itself 380 miles into a 400 mile road trip.

Only cost me $1800.00 to get a new rear installed while visting family in NC.

Might be brakes or even a rock in your tire but just to be safe check the diff.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If it is a manual trans check your trans and xfer case levels.
If it is a manual it sounds like your syncros are going due to no oil.

·
Registered
825 Posts
mine was making a "sound" similar to what you are describing... it didn't really become apparant accept when cruising at speed under a load...

After a week of noticing this... I checked all my fluid levels... My rear end and my tranny were dry. YAY!!!

Now I make a point to check and top them off at every oil change. No problems since this occurance- have no idea how long they ran dry since I bought this used last summer. I'm hoping not too much damage was done.

(btw, mines a 5spd manual tranny)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Yet another vote for checking the fluid level in the differentals.

While you're at it, check the tranny & transfer case.

I'd do it now.

Jim

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
WOW!, my 96, i just blew the spidergears apart, had a spare rear axle so it wasnt a $$ issue. Anyway, i had a 95.5 4 cylinder 5 speed rodeo make the same noise (10 bolt)at around 45+ mph, rear axle fluid was LOW, not dry or anything near that, it was about 1/2 qt low (2 qt in the dana 44, about the same in the 10 bolt) and it hummed right up the driveshaft. I thought it was the trans making the noise. Checked the rear, mid winter and 20 degrees out laying on cardboard in snow. Such fun, ever try to squeeze 85w90 gear oil in 20 degree weather????? check the rear fluid level, almost 100% you'll notice it down abit. Also check the outer axle seals for leaks. let us know what you find

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with checking your diff/tranny/tcase fluids with every oil change. Also check your axle seals every time you check your air pressure especially if you offroad and haven't lengthened the breather hoses. A pluged diff breather can cause pressure in your diff causing your axle seal to leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.