Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
This upcoming thanksgiving break I'm gong to pull the engine in my troop and see if the rear main seal is the source of my huge oil leaks. If it is then I would love to know what the procedure for installing a new one is so I know I did it right. Anybody who can give me detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated. Also is there anything just to check that I should check while I have the engine out and its easy to inspect? Thanks
kevin

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I would pull the tranny instead of pulling the engine. It would be much easier. Just get the truck high enough to get the tranny out and it should be very easy to change the rear main seal.

Joe

·
Registered
368 Posts
Seconding the tranny pull instead. Unless you really cant get it off, your looking at a whole lot more work than you need just to change the rear main oil seal. But if you do take it out, you might as well replace all the seals you can get your hands on. Ckeck the clutch while you're in there too, thats a great time to replace it if its worn out.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Would you guys also recommend the same procedure ie. pulling the tranny to do the rear main seal even on a 3.2L DOHC with an automatic?

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Would you guys also recommend the same procedure ie. pulling the tranny to do the rear main seal even on a 3.2L DOHC with an automatic?
Of course. The engine is much more complicated to pull than the tranny. The tranny comes out with the bellhousing bolts, drop both driveshafts, and take a few lines loose.

Start counting the hoses and other things you will need to remove to get the engine out.

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Be sure to replace the valve cover gaskets before the rear main seal on the 3.2 DOHC early engine. Both my dad's 92 DOHC and my 94 DOHC have oil leaks at the back of the valve covers. Tightening them made a little difference in my 94, so you might try that. Some day I'll probably get around to replacing them.

-Tad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.