Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that a '92 2wd Amigo has a 4:55 gear in the rear end.
Is that the case and if so...where would one go to get a higher gear...say like a 3:73
This little Amigo winds up way too fast AND tight!

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Probably the highest you would find would be 4:30 or 4:10 from a 2wd pickup.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
ebgbz said:
I understand that a '92 2wd Amigo has a 4:55 gear in the rear end.
Is that the case and if so...where would one go to get a higher gear...say like a 3:73
This little Amigo winds up way too fast AND tight!
FIRST WHICH ENG DO YOU HAVE , 2WD ANYWAY MOST OF THOSE HAD 4.10 WITH THE 2.3 A 2.6 ENG COULD HAVE HAD 4.10 ,4.30 OR 4.55 DEPENDING ON THE TIRE SIZE THERE ARE NO GEARS TALLER THAN THE 4.10 THAT WILL FIT NO MATTER WHICH ENG YOURS CAME WITH

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine is a 2.3L...the Amigo is 2 wd.
The tires are currently 215.75. 15, with one 205...
iy kind of limps a little bit.
the tires will be changed to 235.75 15 or possible one size up from that.
I quess that I'm stuck with the shi**y 1st gear performance.
It really kind of sucks in 1st gear!
OK...so forget a gear change.
Thanks

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Not sure what you are saying. But I think you are saying that 1st gear only is too low. It's supposed to be that way. Better too low than not low enough. The idea is if it's loaded down or you have a trailer hooked up then it's low enough to get the thing moving on a hill without smoking the clutch. You don't change rear ends for 1st gear you change rear ends for top gear rpm range. 1st gear is there just to make the truck move then you shift. If 1st gear is too low use second to start. If the truck starts easily in second then it's OK to take off in second. I do it occasionally in mine. It's a truck with a low RPM torque motor. Not a light weight Honda with a high RPM motor.

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,855 Posts
Would a higher 5th gear help you? I know where there's a turbo Impulse transmission near you (REAL near you--it's IN Tampa!). It has a higher 5th gear ratio than you have. The seller is asking $60, I think. Oh, yeah. He's also a member of this forum.

Jack

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
ebgbz said:
Hey squatch...
You are exactly right!
However, what I wamt to do is make a "a light weight Amigo with a high RPM motor."
That requires a good balance job on the engine internals and a different camshaft. 2.3/2.6 are cammed for moderate rpms. They don't make much power above 3.5k RPM. They could also benefit from some serious balancing work.
The camshaft is the brains of any engine. The grind determines the rpm that the engine makes power at.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sqautch,
I found a couple of cam grinds...
260 torque and 272 mid/upper(hot street).
These cost $55 plus a core if they supply.
Hell, I don't know which would work for my purpose.
I still think the rear gear is wrong for what I want to do! :?
Joe...I don't think a higher 5th gear would accomplish what I want either.
I've been used to a '91 expoder with a 5.0L/T-5/3:73 truck.
Apparently what I want to do is going to be tough!
I have found a 2.3l w/trans. that 2 hrs away for $700.
Perhaps some garage time and machine mods might do it :?

·
Registered
348 Posts
What is the info on the turbo impulse in Tampa?? Might need to go to sunny florida!!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
squatch said:
They could also benefit from some serious balancing work.
They could, but there's only so much you can do on an L4 with no balance shaft.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I had my engine balanced and I would agree with squatch. I will zip my engine past 6k without hesitation. The crankshaft looks like someone who got a new drill press for their birthday and was just checking it out, lots of drill marks. Every rod has had material removed, 3 on the big end and 3 on the small end and one on both. Very impressed with the results and do reccomend it. Just bring your checkbook to the machine shop when you do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.