Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the Old Country (UK), I always used to have high-intensity rear
lights on my cars, for use in fog, heavy rain and general low-vis conditions.

They don't seem to be popular here in Florida, but, given the amount of
heavy rain that we get, I'd like to fit them to my 96 Rodeo and my wife's 98...

Does anyone know if there are legal reasons not to? Or what the
regulations might be, governing fog and driving lights in general?
Or a good place to start looking?

Many thanks,
IanP

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well, I suppose if you just use them to back up and such they would be o.k.

If you're talking about running them all the time, laws probably apply.

If I was running down I-5 & come up on a vehicle shining their brights out of the back end, I would be un-happy.

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I need to clarify:

Rear fog lights - the kind that are now pretty much mandatory in
most of Europe - are not like the fogs you fit on the front, nor are they
for reversing, etc.

They are high-intensity diffused reds, mounted at the rear, for use in fog
and conditions of low visibility... If I recall correctly, of a similar intensity
to brake lights, but illuminated continually, in bad conditions.

So, if you came across a vehicle using them in fog or heavy rain,
you'd be able to see it a lot further back... standard lights fade out
very quickly, in bad vis - especially in daytime

(Here's a not-very-good example;;;)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Ahhh, I can see clearly now. :lol:

You should probably check with your local state patrol, but I dont see why not.

Jim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
check with your local state patrol
*chuckle*

My wife works for our local PD, and she asked their traffic guru...
even he's not sure... basically, the consensus opinion seems to be
seems to be the same as yours... "dont see why not" :roll:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check with your state's Department of Motor Vehicles. The is the regulation regarding rear fog lights for california:

Reference: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24602.htm

Fog Taillamps

24602. (a) ( )1 A vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog taillamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required taillamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.

(b) ( )2 The lamps authorized under subdivision (a) shall be installed as follows:

(1) When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it shall be mounted as close as practical to the left side or on the center of the vehicle.

(2) The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 15 inches nor higher than 60 inches.

(3) The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than four inches from the edge of the lens of any stoplamp.

(4) The lamps shall be wired so they can be turned on only when the headlamps are on and shall have a switch that allows them to be turned off when the headlamps are on.

(5) A nonflashing amber pilot light ( )3 that is lighted when the lamps are turned on shall be mounted in a location readily visible to the driver.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Check any recent Mercedes, it has a set of front fogs and a rear fog light. You pull out once click on the headlight switch for fogs, and two clicks for front and rear fogs. I can't imagine that they are illegal if they come from the factory with them.

-Tad

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
IanP said:
check with your local state patrol
*chuckle*

My wife works for our local PD, and she asked their traffic guru...
even he's not sure... basically, the consensus opinion seems to be
seems to be the same as yours... "dont see why not" :roll:
:eek: First time a cop ever agreed with me. :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Rear fogs are legal in all states as long as they only are active when the front fog lamps are on. The lenses have to be red, no clear.

All late model Mercedes, Audi, Volvos and most VW's now come with this as standard safety equipment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Our Saab 9-3 has a "beacon" fog light as well (meaning just one towards the middle of the vehicle).

Anyone have any ideas on installation/placement on a late model trooper? I am interested in doing this as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
JedWeeks said:
Our Saab 9-3 has a "beacon" fog light as well (meaning just one towards the middle of the vehicle).

Anyone have any ideas on installation/placement on a late model trooper? I am interested in doing this as well.
How about on the spare, or plug into a trailer hitch, if you want a single?

·
Registered
117 Posts
All Land Rovers have them. My mother in law has them on her 2002 Volvo

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Kathy's sister has a C240 with front & rear fog lamps…

I was following behind it once, in heavy fog, and those rear lamps really do the trick - the increase in visibility (of the physical location of the Mercedes itself) was substantial - but I would have sworn that those lenses were amber.

After seeing how effective they were - I've been planning to mount something similar on my Rodeo (someday).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.