Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 rodeo with the g80 code and I want to change the diff fluids. For the rear I have this additive its from ford. Its called motorcraft additive friction modifier. It is a 4fl. Oz. Bottle. Will this be ok to put in the rear for the additive. It says its to reduce hypoid gear noise levels. Also if its ok is one 4fl oz bottle enough? Thanks

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also how much fluid goes in the front differential as well as the rear? I searched and I am finding nothing on the front especially. I don't not have an owners manual :(

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just about any parts store will have a friction modifier from K&W that works great, just add the tube of modifier and then fill it with gear oil. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
good gear oil has friction modifier in it already and the additive isnt required.

·
Registered
160 Posts
turdstangjunk69 said:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000AM2EBG/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1 that's the stuff I got. Its pennzoil 75w90 synthetic. It says its an API GL-5 and suitable for use in limited slips. So will I need an additive?
nope, its got the additive in it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
turdstangjunk69 said:
Ok. Thanks. Any idea how much the front diff takes?
Make sure you've got more than enough (i pick up 3 bottles), a can of brake cleaner,gasket maker, and something to scrap the old gasket off. Take off the drain plug, drain all the fluid out. Take off the diff cover, and spray the hell out of it with brake cleaner. While the brake cleaner is drying/evaporating, grab your scraper and scrape off all the old gasket maker. Lay down a even bead of gasket maker around the housing, on the inside of the bolt holes, and put the cover back on. put your drain plug back in and open the fill plug and fill it till it starts dripping out, then put the fill plug back in. Your done.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
If this isnt time sensitive, you could get a Lubelocker gasket and not have to mess with RTV.

Im not sure what axles are on a '95, but you if you have a Dana 44 you can get one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
tonnydoodles said:
if all you doing is to change the fluid, why remove the diff cover?
If your gonna do something, do it right. Removing the diff cover and using brake clean will clean out ALL the junk fluid, as opposed to 90%.

·
Registered
141 Posts
98Issuzu said:
turdstangjunk69 said:
Ok. Thanks. Any idea how much the front diff takes?
Make sure you've got more than enough (i pick up 3 bottles), a can of brake cleaner,gasket maker, and something to scrap the old gasket off. Take off the drain plug, drain all the fluid out. Take off the diff cover, and spray the hell out of it with brake cleaner. While the brake cleaner is drying/evaporating, grab your scraper and scrape off all the old gasket maker. Lay down a even bead of gasket maker around the housing, on the inside of the bolt holes, and put the cover back on. put your drain plug back in and open the fill plug and fill it till it starts dripping out, then put the fill plug back in. Your done.
That's exactly how I did BOTH Diffs in my JEEP awhle back.. I will add that I used an AIR Tool (Angle Die Grinder) with a rotating pad to remove the old gasket on both the diff and cover.. Makes short work of the job and makes it nice and clean for resealing..

I even took it a step farther and blasted then painted the diff cover... Came out great and the entire job was easy as pie..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.