Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get rear end gears for a Gen. 1 Trooper? I'm building up one trooper for off-roading, while attempting to make my other one more efficient at daily driving. I was hoping to change the rear differential grears to improve mileage.

KTT

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Rodeo's if I recall had a 4.30:1 axle ratio, don't know if they are interchangeable or not.

It might be more efficient to just install a larger dia. tire, which will change your effective axle ratio.

But you're dragging around 4000 lbs of unaerodynamic box with relatively low HP, not likely to ever turn it into a mileage champ regardless. You may even get worse mpg due to the higher gear imposing more load on the engine (lugging).

You can make some gains by improving exhaust, bumping up the timing, renewing the O2 sensor, making sure your fan clutch is working properly, keeping tire pressures up, etc.

With the rising gas prices, I gave up using mine for the daily commute and picked up a Geo Metro Rollerskate. 40 MPG+ and very cheap to maintain. Plus the Trooper's not getting all worn out!

Keep On Troopin'.......ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.