Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot duplicate this when I want, it happens sometimes

Stop at a light on a slight up-hill. Go to take off, light acceleration (as when cars are ahead of me). I get a very light knock and I feel like the rear end is "fishtailing" almost an inch or more back and forth. It is the strangest feeling.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to check-out first? Should I park the car immediately?
1998 Trooper - Auto - 147,XXX - OME 919's are the only rear end change I have made from stock.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnnie59 said:
Does your truck have coil rear springs? Sounds like a busted sway bar.
Yes it does.

I will look into the sway and report back.

Good idea!

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Sway bar wont cause the fishtailing. I would look at the upper and lower link bushings and frame mounts, also the panhard bar bushings and mounts. I know that Steve (Big Swede) found the holes in the front mounts for his lower links had wallowed out some allowing the axle to shift on his trooper RS.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doesn't seem to be the sway bar.
I did notice some grease/oil on the bottom of the differential pumpkin :?

I think I re-created it at will, it seems the clunks/knocks could almost sound like a harsh grinding...some shake and then it goes away, also, this only happens when accelerating slowly, it can even happen when just letting off the brake and allowing it to roll at idle. At least it is only noticeable when slowly. Would a differential cause this? Would it only last momentarily. Or maybe at higher speeds it is unnoticeable ...
I'm getting my oil changed tomorrow, those are the guys who drain/filled the diff fluid 3k miles ago, I will have them check the level and plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts