Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my defroster for my rear window on my rodeo is broken, the connection broke off the window at the very base. the thing that is stuck on looks kind of like a ceramic type stuff. can i just glue this back on or what?

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Yes they sell a conductive paint to repair the wires on the window, but if the broken connection is away from the window solder it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You can solder it. I do it all the time at work . The trick is to lightly scuff the contact on the glass to get rid of contamination. Sand just a LITTLE. Then preheat you solder iron until it is fully hot. You may need a hand on the next couple steps.....have a friend hold the broken part in a pair of vice grips or pliers. Now heres the trick. Take a micro torch and heat up the broken part .....then take the torch and apply heat to the glass... Apply even heat about 3 inches around attachment place on the glass . Apply enough heat so the back side of the glass is hot to the touch. Now that all the parts are hot have your helper hold the broken part to the glass . Apply solder to the part and glass. The solder should flow between parts . Once you have enough solder remove iron and let solder cool. The part should be attached. You can BREAK the glass if you DON'T preheat the glass. The iron will put too much heat in a concentrated area......good luck. If you have a problem I can make a video or something for you to watch...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I would not recommend soldering the tab back on the glass as it can cause the glass to shatter. You can glue the tab back on to the rear glass, but you must use an adhesive made for the job that allows conductivity of electicity. Both Loctite and Permatex make an adhesive for this purpose. It is available at most auto parts stores. It is a simple process that must be preform @ 50 degrees or higher. According to the Loctite website the process is as follows:

1.Remove wire from tab; then clean tab and attachment area on rear window with rubbing alcohol
2.Apply activator to tab and attachment area
3.Allow 5 minutes for activator to cure and then apply glue to attachment area
4.Push tab onto attachment area, hold in place for 1 minute and then reattach wire
5.Wait 24 hours before using defogger

I have done this repair to a number of vehicles and have found that if you use 180 grit sandpaper on the flats of the tab before you clean it with rubbing alcohol, it will have better conductivity. Also insure that the tab is flat before installing it to the glass. They have a tendency to curl because of the heat and therefore popping off the glass.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, i think ill try the glue first just because my dad broke our soldering iron but insists that it still works and that we dont need a new one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts