Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the brake pads on the rear end of my 91 Isuzu Trooper... but I am having continuous problems getting the brake piston to retract. I know on the front you can press it with a C clamp, but on the back it should turn... to go in, but I can't make it happen. Suggestions appreciated.

Video:
you-on-tv.com/trooper-piston.mp4

·
Registered
976 Posts
I fought that same issue for hours and gave up and bought new calipers. They aren't that expensive and I decided (looking at the dust boot and other things) that it was about time for new ones anyways.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
Well, it has to turn to be able to fit the new pads. If yours won't turn, it might be frozen up. Do you have the special tool to turn the piston, or are you trying to do it with needle-nose pliers etc??

Here's a proper tool kit for many different types and styles of brake pistons, not too expensive:

I have one of the little cubes with a different pattern on each side, and it's worked for me in the past, but it's not that great of a tool. Pretty easy for it to slip.

These kits on Amazon (and plenty of them on eBay, too) have a nice big drive-handle and the correct adapter disc for your application. So a pretty solid tool that you can get a good turn on.

If that piston ain't wanting to go in with a tool that has more leverage, maybe it's rusted in there. You may need to get a rebuilt caliper.

Rockauto is still selling rebuilt calipers for the Gen I at reasonable prices:

I checked out the workshop manual, and it said there are 2 ways to remove the brake pistons; 1) pop it out by disconnecting the brake line and applying air pressure (like with an air nozzle that has a rubber tip), or 2) screw the piston counter-clockwise. If you can get it screwed-out of the cylinder, the seal kits for these are pretty cheap.

You might try pulling the caliper, stick it in a vise or other suitable clamping device, and use some heat from a torch on the body. Then see if you can get the piston out.

So is it hot enough for ya down in TX? It's been a terrible spring up here in the PNW (cold, rainy) and the weather is just starting to get nice. But we had a real Scorcher last week with temps over 90, then it cooled down into the 60's and rained! Just no figuring it out! 79 and sunny today and then it's back to rain on Sunday. Crazy!

G'luck with the repair............ed

Reactions: freddyfreeloader

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it has to turn to be able to fit the new pads. If yours won't turn, it might be frozen up. Do you have the special tool to turn the piston, or are you trying to do it with needle-nose pliers etc??

Here's a proper tool kit for many different types and styles of brake pistons, not too expensive:

I have one of the little cubes with a different pattern on each side, and it's worked for me in the past, but it's not that great of a tool. Pretty easy for it to slip.

These kits on Amazon (and plenty of them on eBay, too) have a nice big drive-handle and the correct adapter disc for your application. So a pretty solid tool that you can get a good turn on.

If that piston ain't wanting to go in with a tool that has more leverage, maybe it's rusted in there. You may need to get a rebuilt caliper.

Rockauto is still selling rebuilt calipers for the Gen I at reasonable prices:

I checked out the workshop manual, and it said there are 2 ways to remove the brake pistons; 1) pop it out by disconnecting the brake line and applying air pressure (like with an air nozzle that has a rubber tip), or 2) screw the piston counter-clockwise. If you can get it screwed-out of the cylinder, the seal kits for these are pretty cheap.

You might try pulling the caliper, stick it in a vise or other suitable clamping device, and use some heat from a torch on the body. Then see if you can get the piston out.

So is it hot enough for ya down in TX? It's been a terrible spring up here in the PNW (cold, rainy) and the weather is just starting to get nice. But we had a real Scorcher last week with temps over 90, then it cooled down into the 60's and rained! Just no figuring it out! 79 and sunny today and then it's back to rain on Sunday. Crazy!

G'luck with the repair............ed
Thanks buddy. I got it.... just took it off and pulled the piston on my bench so I could see the thread... then screwed it back on and got it running again. Good thing bc I wasn't wanting to hike into town for supplies like last year. Most days are over 90 here... and that is inside my cabin. lol

Thanks for the support.
Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks buddy. I got it.... just took it off and pulled the piston on my bench so I could see the thread... then screwed it back on and got it running again. Good thing bc I wasn't wanting to hike into town for supplies like last year. Most days are over 90 here... and that is inside my cabin. lol

Thanks for the support.
Mike
If you marred the piston getting it out, it probably needs to be replaced. I couldn't turn mine even with a specialized tool and ended up using vice grips and tearing up the outer rim of the piston. Shame too, because they were a nice set of original calipers otherwise and hadn't been sandblasted 100 times like the remanned units.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

Thanks for the support.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts