Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 2000 Rodeo, I seem to have a small leak coming from the range sensor. There was a drip forming on the cover. I cleaned the cover once but it is oily again. My fill/drain plugs are indeed leaking slowly as well and I have the new revised ones of those coming to fix that problem. Could a leak from one of those plugs cause oil to somehow get on the range sensor? How do you clean your range sensors? I was thinking of hosing it off in engine brite which has worked wonders on my engine. If my range sensor is leaking what seal needs to be replaced and how hard of an operation is it to change it? Is is possible to mess up the setting of the range sensor from doing this?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
The shifter cable is operating a shaft that controls a valve inside the transmission, there is an O-ring seal around that shaft that is leaking. To replace it you must remove the Range Mode Switch and the mechanical linkage. Cleaning the switch with engine cleaner is a bad idea, it is an electrical component. Use contact cleaner to clean the switch contacts and apply a THIN film of dielectric compound on the contacts after cleaning to prevent corrosion.The switch has to be mounted properly since it tells the PCM what the actual position of the shift linkage is. Replacing the seal is not a difficult task to perform for most people.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buster28 said:
The shifter cable is operating a shaft that controls a valve inside the transmission, there is an O-ring seal around that shaft that is leaking. To replace it you must remove the Range Mode Switch and the mechanical linkage. Cleaning the switch with engine cleaner is a bad idea, it is an electrical component. Use contact cleaner to clean the switch contacts and apply a THIN film of dielectric compound on the contacts after cleaning to prevent corrosion.The switch has to be mounted properly since it tells the PCM what the actual position of the shift linkage is. Replacing the seal is not a difficult task to perform for most people.
I was talking about cleaning the general area I guess. Not the the electrical bits themselves but the greasy metal parts that have been covered in oil. Not opening up the sensor and cleaning that. I don't have any problems with it... Yet. I just like a clean car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts