Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 1998 rodeo 4wd, and when i got it it was hardshifting and no lights on the indicator, so after reading about the range mode switch i decided to try a new one

....after installing the new one and for about 2 hours it worked perfect, lights in the indicator and smooth shifting.....but then it stopped working and no lights and the hardshifting again.....so i found it was blowing the 15a fuse that also controls my turn signals and back up lights

I checked for any shorts and cant find a one, and all my lights,signals work great, bulbs are all good, etc, but what i did notice is that the abs wiring harness under the drivers rear of vehicle is all messed up (my abs light has been on too)

.....so i am wondering if that abs plug not fuctioning properly or shorting out could cause my range mode switch to keep blowing fuses? Are they tied together somehow

Also my flasher switch in the dash has never worked.....could that have anything to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as i want to order a new range mode sensor (I fried the old one by putting in a 20a fuse out of desperation), but would like to find out why its blowing the fuse before i do

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I don't have a schematic for a 98 Rodeo, but on my 01&02 Rodeo's the Range Mode Switch (RMS) is powered by same fuse (CB14) as the Turn and Backup lamps, so they are probably wired the same. The RMS is six switches in a single package; one for backup lamps, one for starter relay control and four for the gear selection code. The four RMS switch outputs used for gear selection go directly to the PCM which converts them into digital data.

If you "fried" the RMS there is a short to ground between one of the four RMS gear selection outputs and the PCM or a short to ground in the Backup lamp circuit. If you have a trailer hitch cable attached, start looking there.

CB14 also powers the Brake Switch TCC input, SOF controller, Map Lamp timer, Cruise Control main and switch and the 4WD controller.

The Flasher does not receive power from CB14.

The ABS lamp is on due to a failure in the ABS system or the multi-pin electrical connector on the EBCM is disconnected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So i looked all over for the trailer wire, but cant find it, i took the jack out of its compartment and there is no wire there, and i looked underneath as well........did all 98 models have them or were they a special order?

Also, whereabouts would the ground to the back up lights be? is there any specific location i should be checkin wires for the back up lamps.....to date i have just taken off the whole rear light assembly on both sides and checked everything there which looked good?

Thanks for you help

Ryan

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
In some instances a short in the trailer connector is the source of the problem, since you don't have one, that is eliminated. I have also determined that on 98/99 there is an AT shift indicator module connected in parallel with the PCM/ECM that receives gear position information from the RMS. There could be a problem with this module, however I don't know where it is located. It may be under the center console.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.