Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, maybe I should start a build thread, considering you guys have helped me a lot already, and I like to note my findings and accomplishments. lol

Day I got it. Cleaned her up a bit. Note the use of 2 parking spaces.

Couple weeks after my room mate and I hacked off those side steps. Or Shin Skinners, as I call them.

Little while afterwards, I had to take apart my whole dash to figure out why my tail lights and dash lights weren't working.

Turns out one of the terminals was brushing up against the metal bit holding the dash in place

Fixed that and everything worked fine......until i blew 3 hoses

Me and one of my buddy's did the good old "Langford quick fix" DUCT TAPE!

Went out wheeling after months of breakdowns, and no money, and i racked up quite the damage count!!

ripped the fibers off the flex fit

and got double high centered and bent all 3 of my skid plates

and i ripped off a bit of my bumper. still trying to find the piece lol

Pulled up the carpet in the back, and found a wack load of rust

going to cut that out and weld in something soon. I want the rear seats left in there, so i might rhino line it, but im not sure yet.

Put the bush bumper on it finally. looks like crap, but what do you expect for $60 lol

Went out with a few of my buddies, and smashed out my drivers side light

AND TODAY!!!

Went and got my parts truck for $350!!

Exact same year, model, everything. except the parts truck has AC. might switch it to onboard air, not sure yet.

In January, I might be getting a 2" Calmini Lift Kit, and February comes the new tires.

Next few days are going to be dedicated to the engine and transmission swap. One of my buddy's is going to let me use his shop, with access to all air tools and everything, so that'll be nice.

Well....thats the truck updated!!!!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Your pictures bring back memories, of hating that stupid exhaust crossover :x . Ever so glad that I rerouted it to crossover behind the T-case. Bumper caps lost one of them too. Rusted out rear fenders :x been there. Just patched & painted it using floor out of my parts Trooper.

Skip the 2" Calmini Lift Kit, just add longer rear shackles & crank the torsion bars. Cost less and same results :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maxwell417 said:
Your pictures bring back memories, of hating that stupid exhaust crossover :x . Ever so glad that I rerouted it to crossover behind the T-case. Bumper caps lost one of them too. Rusted out rear fenders :x been there. Just patched & painted it using floor out of my parts Trooper.

Skip the 2" Calmini Lift Kit, just add longer rear shackles & crank the torsion bars. Cost less and same results :)
I need new suspension badly, so thats why i was just going to do the calmini kit.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Looks like you're having a lot of fun with it. Keep it up.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got both the trucks in the shop today thanks to a buddy with some connections.

Mainly was working on getting the engine out of the parts truck

Hacking the front end off

AND SHE'S OUT!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nfpgasmask said:
What are you guys lifting the motor out with? It doesn't look like a hoist??? Just curious.

Bart
it was a hoist.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
nfpgasmask said:
What are you guys lifting the motor out with? It doesn't look like a hoist??? Just curious.

Bart
Take a good look..... It's the two post vehicle lift.... The one pictured with the Trooper on it...

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Progress from today!!!

Truck was already up by the time i got there

couple minutes later my buddy john and his wife kari showed up. she took the pictures from then on

Came across a few, "What the hell, why wont it move?" moments. 2 were my fault.

We finally found out what it was. forgot to take off 1 little steel plate.

After we got that off, and my t-case shifter, things came together a bit better.

TTTTHHHHEEEENNNN the hoist didn't wanna work

but then she came out

Had a busted motor mount, so i fixed that while i had the chance.

and that was today! tomorrow......putting the engine back in!!

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Nice. I do hope that you achieve all the results you are after in this swap. Just curious.. why'd you hack the front end of the parts truck to get the motor out?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
stusvend said:
Nice. I do hope that you achieve all the results you are after in this swap. Just curious.. why'd you hack the front end of the parts truck to get the motor out?
it seemed easier that way. lol

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
point well taken :roll:

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Cool dude, I'm assuming it's automatic?

Looks like that parts truck had some goodies on it.. New alternator, etc? Thats got to be awesome to be able to buy a whole nother vehicle for $350... I wish I had a place to put one.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Basejob said:
Cool dude, I'm assuming it's automatic?

Looks like that parts truck had some goodies on it.. New alternator, etc? Thats got to be awesome to be able to buy a whole nother vehicle for $350... I wish I had a place to put one.
The parts truck had a new motor, and transmission (yes automatic) a new alt, im taking the alt and water pump off my trooper because they're basically new, and the parts truck had a G80 rear end as well :drool:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Made a **** load of progress last night. got the motor back in, connected all the drive lines, just going to be doing the wiring tonight, and she should be running like a dream

I'll post up some pictures soon. when you see the before and after, you'll **** yourself

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
first of all, FOUND THE ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUAL!!!!, lol

Then we lifted the parts truck and swapped out the axle!

buddy of mine was going a bit grinder happy. I think he was just getting revenge on my truck.

Throwing my custom exhaust in. Best $30 i ever spent.

And we're done with her!!!!!!! saved the doors tho. Any first gen Trooper drivers wants 4 white doors? mint condition, power windows and locks. $150 for all 4 plus shipping. glass included as well. no promises it'll make it the whole way though

The bitches

So.....as it sits right now, I have minimal wiring left to do. She should be up and running by tomorrow, and I really could not be happier. Now running a G80 Limited Slip Rear, and 33x12.50x15

Putting in some rancho's tomorrow.....wait......later today, and i am stoked about that. My suspension hasn't been changed since it was bought new in 1990

Going to be doing an SOA next week, and i need to find some 6 bolt 15x8 rims.

Since I have taken a bit more of a leap into this thing, i'm thinking more and more about SASing the front, the only thing keeping me back is the fact that its my DD, but we'll see.

Hopefully she'll be done by tomorrow!!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, still got some Kinks to work out....all of which point to a fuel issue......all of which i think are pointing straight to the fuel filter.

but other than that, she wasn't running to badly. went wheeling yesterday, that was fun

Got stuck.....ONLY ONCE THIS TIME!

front end was in some pretty thick paste, and back end was spinning on some mud. just couldn't get enough traction.

Buddy of mine sporting the Prada sunglasses i found on the trail lol

this was a mod i have been trying to do, but been to lazy lol, so nature helped me out

after the run

i think i need a body lift tho

Other than the fuel issue, she's becoming the truck i want her to be.

now.....just gotta get her out of shawnigan, lol

Died on the highway, luckily, it was 5 minutes from a coworkers place, and he towed me to his house.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts