Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, ive been unemployed for 2 months. i got fired from Academy for missing ONE DAY, been working there 9 months..
anyways, ive been applying for jobs right and left. whether its online, in the Times-Picayune, etc. ive faxed, emailed, even hand delivered my resume 30 miles for a job.

Had one interview with best buy and they hired some high school kid (no offense, but i think the only reason they hired him was cause they figured they could pay him less) instead.

Applied for all the typical jobs, walmart, target, etc. ill work anywhere.. EXCEPT FAST FOOD.. maybe a starbucks or a nicer restaurant.. but no mcdonalds.

any ideas on job? ive worked with the census bureau, a call center for well over a year, and academy for about 9 months. probably 2 years experience in customer service.

just ranting.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just recently started a new job on a freight dock for a huge LTL company. You could try that or something of the sort.

I know most parts stores are usually hiring sales and part time positions. The best thing I've discovered is try looking in the least common places.

I wish you luck though buddy!

-Robert

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TKEPA251 said:
I just recently started a new job on a freight dock for a huge LTL company. You could try that or something of the sort.

I know most parts stores are usually hiring sales and part time positions. The best thing I've discovered is try looking in the least common places.

I wish you luck though buddy!

-Robert
There's a new academy by me, they're hiring the same position I worked as. Maybe theyre willing
To hire someone already experienced and trained.

Definitely keeping an eye out for local jobs that aren't posted. Much better chance of getting one of those.
I considered a dock job, but the nearest docks are 55 miles.. :/

·
Registered
676 Posts
thebigbread said:
There's a new academy by me, they're hiring the same position I worked as. Maybe theyre willing
To hire someone already experienced and trained.

Definitely keeping an eye out for local jobs that aren't posted. Much better chance of getting one of those.
I considered a dock job, but the nearest docks are 55 miles.. :/
It's worth a shot. When I say "dock" I mean a freight dock. I work for Southeastern Freight Lines and its a great paying job. Best believe I earn my lunch at that job, but I love it. We got docks all over the Southeast there may be one near you. Keep your eyes peeled, and your mind open. Good luck, keep pluggin!

-Robert

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Labor Ready or some other temp staffing firm? That's how I got a foot hold in my industry, through a temp agent. Seems a lot of companies reluctant to hire right now will go through a staffing firm looking for someone who is a good fit. If they find you, they hire you and pay the finders fee. Yeah it sucks to have someone take a portion of your paycheck but if it gets you in the door, think of it as the price of admission.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well yesterday while waiting for new tires to be put on the trooper, I got three calls for interviews!

Job 1: adecco, a temporary job. Pays $14/hour but only for a month and requires driving all day.. ill pass.

Job 2: ups office position. Pays 11.50 but is a 40 mile commute one way.
Job 3: advance auto parts professional. Pays 10.00, the lowest pay but is only 5 miles away, so I'm hoping for this one. Not to mention discount on parts!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Congrats, hope it works out!

If you get the one at Advanced, will you do me a favor and not ask someone if their car has irrelevant options when the part obviously won't be affected. Example being: if I'm looking for brakes, don't ask me if it has air conditioning please......I'm just saying.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cronk said:
Congrats, hope it works out!

If you get the one at Advanced, will you do me a favor and not ask someone if their car has irrelevant options when the part obviously won't be affected. Example being: if I'm looking for brakes, don't ask me if it has air conditioning please......I'm just saying.
Lol, I wont. I am a straightforward salesperson, I don't throw in a bunch of useless stuff, just give them what they need, especially the way the economy is and people can't afford extras.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont mean to revive an old thread, but.. i got the job!
i worked wednesday from noon-930pm. skipped lunch :D so thats nearly $100 right there.
the great part was i pretty much skipped all the training, except for policies, how to manage the store, etc. they must have had confidence in me, on my first day i closed the store by myself.

·
Registered
676 Posts
thebigbread said:
dont mean to revive an old thread, but.. i got the job!
i worked wednesday from noon-930pm. skipped lunch :D so thats nearly $100 right there.
the great part was i pretty much skipped all the training, except for policies, how to manage the store, etc. they must have had confidence in me, on my first day i closed the store by myself.
Congrats buddy! I used to work for auto zone; it was just another job, nothin particularly special.

If you're closing on your first night they definitely think pretty highly of you, so they may have an eye on you, in a good way lol.

-Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts