Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so im 36 and i was wondering these two questions....

when did Oodles of Noodles become Ramen Noodles...?

and when did it become a Staple Meal in my Diet?

I dont know the first answer

but the second was about the time gas hit 3.00 a gallon

·
Registered
546 Posts
I like ramen noodles. They make a good filler meal between real ones if you are trying to eat smaller but more frequent meals through the day. They are portable and fast/easy to make with a stove or microwave. They fit perfectly inside those little square tupperware things.

I also like to add just the noodles to a can of soup (chicken and rice etc) as a way to get a little more in there if I am feeling extra hungry.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Crash said:
when did Oodles of Noodles become Ramen Noodles...?
Always been Top Ramen where I live as far as I know. But just because I'm bored...

1976 Oodles of Noodles bag ramen introduced.
2000 Oodles of Noodles name changed to Top Ramen, giving Nissin Foods a truly national brand.

http://www.nissinfoods.com/company/history.php

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I prefer Sapporo Ichiban over Top Ramen anyday. Original flavor and add an egg.
Nissin Cup Noodles pwn Maruchan instant lunch. Nong Shim Kimchi bowls are also yummy.
And lastly Nong Shim Udon bowl, I can barely finish it cause those noodles are so huge!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Top Ramen, leftover steak plus alfredo is a win :D

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I make ramen a lot but I tend to DR. it up quite a bit first off by taking that little MSG laden salt pack and throwing it right in the trash. You can make it taste a lot better with your own spices. I also add mushrooms, green onion, baby corn, water chest nuts etc. It's not .25 cents cheap that way but still very inexpensive and actually pretty darn tasty. There are also different cooking methods that yield interesting results.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Yeah, there is a buttload of salt in that stuff...but it's good sometimes.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Dae said:
I prefer Sapporo Ichiban over Top Ramen anyday. Original flavor and add an egg.
Nissin Cup Noodles pwn Maruchan instant lunch. Nong Shim Kimchi bowls are also yummy.
And lastly Nong Shim Udon bowl, I can barely finish it cause those noodles are so huge!
I too add egg, flower it in at the end, awesome taste and texture.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Breakfast and lunch through college. Made with my own seasonings and bought pre-cooked chicken to put in there. Man, I might have to grab some on the way home!

Question to Dae, Sapporo Ichiban? To me those are beers! If they are top shelf let me in on some knowledge! I lived with two guys whos parents move here from China, they always had great stuff to share. One dated a Korean girl whos family owned a small Korean Grocery, the premade package stuff was insane! Best miso soup ever came in a plastic baggy with dried tofu. Candied fish in a bag, please. I miss those days!

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
grobrooks said:
the premade package stuff was insane! Best miso soup ever came in a plastic baggy with dried tofu. Candied fish in a bag, please. I miss those days!
Well, you got MY tastebuds flooding with drool !

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Mediamonkey11 said:
I too add egg, flower it in at the end, awesome taste and texture.
Me too.

I make my own egg-flower soup with the ramen, extra water, a couple eggs, some frozen mixed veggies, and packaged salad that is close to it's end date.

Man, I am wanting to make some right now !!

Instead... I am about to make ramen with the frozen mixed veggies, some butter, one egg... and about a pound of surimi. (I don't have any salad, or I'd use that, as well.)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I also throw away the seasoning pack.

Noodles, ginger, onion powder, pepper, pinch of garlic = oriental ramen.

Add a can of tuna.

Consume.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
ramen lo mein, cook in boiling water, dry it, put some butter on frying pan fry garlic, bag of frozen asian vegetables, shrimp, lots of soy sauce add ramen noodles and you got lo mein, better than any restaurant, and if you can't afford shrimp, sliced hot dogs taste good too.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
grobrooks said:
Question to Dae, Sapporo Ichiban? To me those are beers! If they are top shelf let me in on some knowledge! I lived with two guys whos parents move here from China, they always had great stuff to share. One dated a Korean girl whos family owned a small Korean Grocery, the premade package stuff was insane! Best miso soup ever came in a plastic baggy with dried tofu. Candied fish in a bag, please. I miss those days!
Lol, the only Japanese beer I have tried is Asahi dry. Thats the only beer that still taste good when warm.
Sapporo Ichiban noodles is the same stuff I ate while growing up. I have seen it in original, chicken, beef, and shrimp flavors.
They sell it pretty much everywhere here in WA. Walmarts, Wincos, Kroger, etc... for like 35 cents a pack.

I remember moving out here in '97 and I couldnt find it anywhere. Which is the first time I seen Top ramen.
So my mom bought some and I spit that crap right out. Its super watery. Im glad that every store pretty much carries it now.
Cooking tip... use just a little less water if you want abit more flavor.
If you like thicker noodles lower the heat at the end to let the noodles absorb more soup.
Sometimes im not in the mood for soup and end up draining most of it out.

For the Miso+tofu soups, the best one I have tried is the Kikoman brand. Im more into noodle soups. Udon is great when you're starving.
And snacks. I know alot of good ones. Not sure if they have alot of Asian stores where you live. But dried fish/squid in a bag is tasty.
Fish/squid balls (not testicles) are also good, but you have to fry them. I grew up on these foods. Most out here think its weird. :lol:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LMAO..you guys kill me..!!! i love it....

Ok so ive made some disgusting mixes with ramen noodles and I dont even get high anymore.... but I can say i dont eat fatty anything...so I can handle the extra salt in my diet.....if im gonna eat not so healthy...

My diet conssists of chicken rice chicken noodles chicken veggies chicken and chicken.....! o yah and Spaghetti with Hot Italian sausage!...once you have it with Ital Saus meatballs just arent the same..

Someone mentioned Ichiban...!!!

Theres a resturaunt here Called Ichiban Steak House....!!! its 40.00 a dish but man Its the best Food EVER..>!!!!!! I highly reccomend it...if youre in Pittsburh area..... They cook everyhting in fornt of you and the meal is super fresh and light on sauce but loads of flavor.....

if youre ever this way id gladly head out with anyone to eat there

and im not the only one who put Tuna fish in their soup...I will admit its not the greatest mix but the Creamy Chicken drowns the odd flavor mixing....

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Tofu.

Did you know ? That the ingredient most often used to coagulate soy milk into tofu is... Gypsum.

Yep, that's right. The same stuff that they make drywall from.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think that may be why i never ate tofu....i was too busy putting Kecthup on the wall paper with my side of lightly glazed light switch...

on that note i will probably pass on tofu for eternity.... :oops:

but some General Tso's Chicken...!!!!! now were talking..!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Crash said:
... but some General Tso's Chicken...!!!!! now were talking..!!!
x2! :D

but back on subject, I'm 43 and I still like ramen noodles. Yes, I used the word "like". No, I don't want it 7 days a week, but 2-4 is no big deal. I've gone through lots of periods where I ate something several days a week.

I think it's kind of like :spam1: - we just don't like to admit that we like it.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OHHH NOOO SPAM..!!!

well spam is great to throw in your Bug Out Bag...that crap lasts 3yrs shelf life and you dont need a canopener if SHTF.....

i have to admit no matter how hungry i am i can only eat that in moderation.....but yes ive had to eat it as well..... might have to offset with a side of poison ivy or hornet nest :lol: ok its not that bad,.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.