Rear Dome Light

Exterior
Vinyl Wrapped Paint in 3M Brushed Blue Steel
Morimoto HID Projector Headlight Conversion
Project ZU LED DRLs Mounted in Headlights
Lamin-X Smoked Headlight Film
Smoked Front Marker Lights
Smoked Front Blinker Lights
Showroom New Treatment Applied to Cladding (black)
Project ZU Hood Insert Heat Extractor
Debadged and Rebadged
CREE LED Reverse Lights
Yakima Rail Grabber Roof Rack

Future
Front & Rear ARB Lockers with 4.56 Gearing
SFIFS with Quick Release Pin
Mount/Bumper for Warn XD9500 Winch
Rear Bumper/Receiver/Skid Plate to Protect Rear Tire
Reupholster Seats Full Black
5-Speed Swap
Indy4x Shopping List: Lower Links & HD Torsion Bars

The First Picture July 2009

November 2012 :D

Reactions: TMan1127

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Project ZU Modifications
*Project ZU is just my fun way of saying designed and built by me. Most of the projects take forever to finish because I'm usually figuring them as I go along.

Rear Tire Carrier
Description: Tailgate flattened and built to carry a 35" tire.
Working time: 6 months (on & off)
Link: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21800&highlight=rear+tire+carrier

Headlights
Description: LED Daytime Running Lights built into headlight bezel. Additionally, I installed Morimoto D2S projectors, 3five 35w ballasts, 5000k bulbs and blacked out reflector. Gun Smoked Lamin-x applied to lens.
Working time: 5 months- mostly design
Link: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22202
DRLs

Headlights On

Close-up

Hella 500 Driving Lights
Description: I wanted Hella Driving Lights embedded in the bumper for a clean look. I used a 4 foot piece of fiberglass unistrut as an internal light bracket because the unistrut fits perfectly between cladding turn signal & OEM round light. Next, I carefully cut out a shape for the driving lights and used a mounting bolt to secure the lights to the unistrut.
Working time: 4 hours

Hood Insert
Description: I wanted to add a functional heat extractor to the hood insert. I used a reverse hood scoop sold aftermarket for the Subaru WRX/STi. I fiberglassed the reverse hood scoop into the insert and had the insert professionally sprayed with Line-x
Working time: 8 Months (on & off) - first fiberglassing experience and I kept improving the quality over time.

Air Compressor
Description: My goal was to install a belt driven York air compressor to make an on-board air system capable of 10 CFM. I used a York A/C compressor from a 70s Ford that I picked up for $20. I wanted to mount the compressor on the engine but couldn't find the room. Instead, I moved the battery and made a mount for the compressor to attach to the alternator with a V-belt pulley. I ran the air hose back to a tank behind the rear seat. The tank has a pressure switch that will automatically cycle the compressor when necessary. Unfortunately, I can't run the system full time because the compressor causes vibration through the VX. I leave the belt off unless I'm using the compressor for filling tires or impact tools. I can fill one 35x12.50x15 tire 15 psi in 1:20 sec. Overall, a successful failure. :lol:
Working time: 2 months

Compressor & Relocated Battery

Air Tank with Hose

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vinyl Wrap
Description: Wrapped the VX body in 3M Brushed Blue Steel Vinyl.
Tips:
-You need at least one helper
-30 ft of material minimum (maybe 50 ft for a 2nd gen Trooper)
-Remove everything touching metal including roof rack, mirrors, door handle, tail lights, weather stripping, snorkel ( :wink: ), etc.
-Buy a decent head gun, you'll use it
-Plastic dip works well for the door jams and won't permanently cover the paint
-I choose a brushed texture because it doesn't show scratches easily. Based on my own testing, matte finishes will show the most scratches
-The window edges are extremely difficult to wrap, so don't plan on them being perfect
-Any noticable imperfections on the paint surface will show through the vinyl

Working Time: 20 hrs including prep and reassembly - more for other Isuzus with bigger body panels
Anyone remember Blue Steel?

Magnets help

Plasti dip can be used on the door hinges to cover up a different color

The initial lay down is difficult

Work from the inside out

Put your helper to work :yesgray:

Plastidipped door jams

A good install will look close to perfect but requires some extra time for touch ups

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D man your VX rocks.the coolest one i have ever seen.keep up the great work 8) recon

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Great build man, looks awesome!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Looks evenmore bitchin than it did at Moab.
Thanks for loaning me that electric impact aswell.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ssericz said:
Looks evenmore bitchin than it did at Moab.
Thanks for loaning me that electric impact aswell.
No problem, I was just glad I didn't need it for the VX. :D

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Dude this reminds me........I want a VX
Awesome build dude, I like how the wrap turned out.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
44FICUS44 said:
hey bro, on your lifted vehicross, did you have any problems accelarating over 80mph with the lift and larger wheels? mine is similar to yours and it just cant seem to get over 80.
Um, I'd say something is not right. My gen 1 will get over 80 on 33's with the 2.6. That 3.5 in the VX should hit 100, unless there's an electronic cut off.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
44FICUS44 said:
hey bro, on your lifted vehicross, did you have any problems accelarating over 80mph with the lift and larger wheels? mine is similar to yours and it just cant seem to get over 80.
I'd be careful pushing your transmission that hard. The 4L30 is a fragile transmission, and I'd say with a lift and tires 75 is your best bet. Pushing it harder is just going to cook the transmission. If you really have to go 80, I would manually shift down to 3 to regain an accelerating gear, instead of waiting for it to drop out of O/D.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
^ good point, forgot you're dealing with an auto.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Back to Rado's rig......how has that wrap held up for you and what kind of maintenance does it require?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
foytiX said:
Back to Rado's rig......how has that wrap held up for you and what kind of maintenance does it require?
I just pressure wash the VX every few weeks and it keeps the wrap looking good. You never wax/polish wrap but can use bug & tar cleaner if there's a dirt build up. The real test will be on trails next summer... I'll be testing the scratch resistance for sure. :shock:

44FICUS44 said:
No problems getting over 80 MPH but I get frequent shifting 3-4-3-4 if I'm trying to maintain that higher speed. Maybe look into axle gearing? I'm 18% under geared right now but plan on changing that soon.

1 - 20 of 331 Posts