Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'88 Trooper II - 2.6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Relative newcomer and especially out of my depth with electrical so you’ll have to forgive me if this is an obvious fix; I’m having some issues that I’m hoping you can help me pin down.

for context i’ve got a ‘88 Trooper 4ZE1 with all the vacuum tubing disconnected. For the last two months or so on rare occasions my dash lights would flash (all of them, not CE) after driving at or revving to high rpm for a minute. sometimes they’ve stayed on until I come to a stop, sometimes just lash, most of the time don’t do anything. I’ve been trying to pin down what’s happening here, figuring it must be a ground issue. Also the radio would drop out if i went over a bump, so that got me thinking maybe distributor plug?

Anyway yesterday i started the car (very cold out) and my engine seemed like it was wanting to stall as it idled and then as i revved in first, when i got to second it was running normally, but the radio turned off completely, and, this is the weird bit, only turns back on when i’m not accelerating for a bit. as soon as i rev it dies again. Cold started it again to see if it repeated and sure enough, wants to stall and radio does with rev.

Any immediate thoughts on this??

Oliver

·
Registered
600 Posts
First thing is to reconnect or plug all the open vacuum tubs and ports. Its very important these do not leak. Perhaps some dumb but wired the radio to a ignition wire? I would start by unplugging the radio and see it the symptom stops. check for a faulty ignition switch, loose battery cables, defective fuse boxes, bad electrical connections. A shake test on the harnesses would be a good idea too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have absolutely no idea and out of my depth generally on electrical issues BUT all of my dash lights came on while driving when I replaced my alternator belt recently and it worked its way loose. It took me more than a few minutes at an O'Reilley's to figure out what was going on.

You may want to look at the alternator or have it tested.

·
Registered
'88 Trooper II - 2.6
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have absolutely no idea and out of my depth generally on electrical issues BUT all of my dash lights came on while driving when I replaced my alternator belt recently and it worked its way loose. It took me more than a few minutes at an O'Reilley's to figure out what was going on.

You may want to look at the alternator or have it tested.
it’s funny you mention that; I had the exact same experience. Thought the alternator was going out, looked in the engine and it had just slid out of place and put a ton of slack in the belt. i tightened it and it ran like a dream for about a month or two, then i started having lights again when i was really running the engine. figure the alternator just needs replacing altogether, which sounds like a good thanksgiving weekend project. we’ll see if that resolves the other issues but i’m worried it’s something else.

·
Registered
1986 Turbo Diesel Trooper
6 Posts
Whenever I run into this type of scenario, with stuff going in and out, I start looking at grounds. Now, I‘ve got an 86 Turbo Diesel, so the grounds might be in different places, but there should be two points for the negative battery cable, one on the driver side fender near the fuse box, one (or two) on the firewall - up by the wiper motor and down near the engine, and I’ve heard rumors of a ground (and not found it yet) below the gauges on the dash. There’s a final one on the frame near the rear bumper, passenger side. I’d start by cleaning all of these - disconnect them, hit the connector, the bolt, and the frame/body mounting point with a wire brush and then, some Dielectric grease from your local auto parts place, and reattach firmly.

I’m not saying it’s your issue, but it has solved a lot of them for me over the years. Depending on whether you’re running a stock radio or aftermarket, you might also check out the wiring harness for it and verify the ground wire (and all the other ones, too, for that matter) are properly connected and “tight”. Cold weather can make for crappy connections…

1 - 5 of 5 Posts