Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My day was spent fluching a racoon from Carol's chimney. The cap had blown off during the storms this year and we were none the wiser. This poor racoon had been lodged in the chimney for a few days I suppose as Carol heard scratching around friday. She had just figured birds as last year. So I decided to clear the fireplace of debris and open the flue to see what pops out. After sitting for a while I decided to pop my head in and see. A set of eyes looking at me is what I had seen and he was wearing a bandits mask. From there I climbed on the roof, from the trooper , knotted a rope and dropped it for him tio climb out. He decided to bolt into the room, which was fine considering we had left the window open and the doors shut to the room. We are not sure he had escaped the window, so we set a trap with tuna for him and we will see I suppose. Here are some pics.

The chimney is clear and room secure. I put a cap on the chimney top and it is time to walk the dogs, get a 6pack and play some cards.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
You might need to send an ascender rig down to him. Commando '****.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Wait, did it have a cat with it ?

If it did, you might try luring it with some cheerios.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You tackled the problem very nicely. I do not like the racoons, but I hate to see an animal suffering without water in the chimney... you did this great.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Nice work! I can only imagine your surprise when you were face to face with that critter. His too. :lol: :lol: Racoons are neat critters but kinda destructive at times.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
racoons are great, i had one as a pet (i know it is illegal to own a racoon) very smart and friendly too, good job and thank you for going the extra mile for the little guy.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cronk said:
Nice work! I can only imagine your surprise when you were face to face with that critter. His too. :lol: :lol: Racoons are neat critters but kinda destructive at times.
Destructive indeed. We went to her house that night to check the trap. By the time we got to the kitchen we had realized he was loose in the house. He busted through the window between the den and kitchen. Ate the dog treats, opened the oven and tore everything off the walls,counter and fridge. We left the house and called a 24 hour critter rudder, got my dog from my house in case. I knew he was in the house when we left and I had let the flue open in case. Well, when the critter rudder got to the house, I went in with him and turkish and immediately found him back in the chimney. So we set a cage the width of the fireplace, I climbed the roof and dismantled the chimney cap then dropped the rope to either flush in the trap or allow him to climb out. He chose to climb out and about jumped on my head. He fled the roof, up and over the fence. We walked the house and found he had opened the pocket door from the kitchen to the dining room and proceeded to demolish everything. And there was feces all through out the house. She is getting professional cleaners. And I believe she lost two nice large rugs. :roll: she is not happy to say the least.

Cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Too bad you live so far away.

I'da "ruddered" the damn thing all right.

With a baseball bat !

I hate raccoons. They eat cats and kittens.

And they're bold about it, because everyone thinks they're so cute, smart and cuddly. (They ARE smarter than cats.)

Being bold is their undoing, when they come around my place.

Last time I 'played' with a couple of them, they were ganged up and outsmarting some kittens.

The kittens were under a pallet which I had placed plywood and a weight on, so they could run up under it in case they were attacked.

Well, run under it they did. And they were doing fine until the two raccons ganged up on them.

One raccoon hid himself off to the side of one open side of the pallet. The other raccoon went around to the other side, and was making a bunch of noise, and grabbing under the pallet. Trying to chase them out the other side, and into the paws of the other raccoon.

Well, I played golf with one, and punt with the other.

They were back three days later, trying for the kittens again. (The kitten's numbers had fallen from 7 to just three, in the interim. All eaten by raccoons.) I shot one of the two raccoons. The other never came back.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
We had a squirrel fall down our chimney once. Had to flush him into a cat carrier and take him out of the house.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
There are raccoon all over the island where the fishing cabin is. They have no predators so they breed in abundance and cause all kinds of trouble. We occasionally have to go out there and thin them out (with extreme prejudice) or the population just gets out of control.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Selador said:
I'da "ruddered" the damn thing all right.
:lol:
Carol just got this iPad, and it is so silly. The spell check changes "me" to " mr" and if you don't not catch it, you have an abundance of typo's.

Cheers
-ian

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
The joys of a home! Glad you got it taken care of. Be especially careful around *****. Here in the east rabies are rampant. A few years ago a hunt club released a couple of hundred ***** from Fla and they didn't know it but 3 were rabid I've read. It's spread rabies all up and down the east coast and not just in *****. We've had a couple here that were obvious. Out in the daytime and not responsive at all to yelling ect. They were put down.

You must not build many fires. That flue is spotless!!!!!!!!!

There have been crazier things than ***** found in chimneys lately.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/ ... 1768.shtml

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, we burn fires about daily during the winter. We have stocked some serious wood over the past few years and the stacks are getting larger with the storms lately. There havent been any reports that I have heard here of a rabies outbreak, and hopefully I wont.

cheers
-Ian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts