Isuzu SUV Forum banner

Racks

6K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  firefighterjohn2001 
#1 ·
Does anybody know of a good brand or place would be good for a roof rack? I want to get one and put my spair tire and some lights on it. Whats better? bolted directly thru the roof or the rain guard attatched ones?

#3 ·
Ive got a SURCO with 4 lights on it, my hi-lift, and my spare tire. I think it's great!

Chris

#5 ·
Here is alink Im the red trooper on page two http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=598745&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

Since that picture I actually flipped the rack around so the Hellas are facing the rear...the tire is still located in the rear and is secured to the rack via a long u-bolt. (which holds very nicely and is cheaper than the $60 tire mount from SURCO) And I also place my hilift along the side of the tire inside the rack bolted to the floor. I plan to add a water and/or a gas can to the roof but for now will leave as is! Hope that hellps. You will definitely not be dissappointed with this rack.

Chris

#7 ·
I actually got mine from a buddy of mine. If I would have bought it from anywhere though it would have been from Matt though

Chris

#9 ·
Glad to help!

Chris

#10 ·
Hey Chris, good to see you browsing the forums again. Just make sure after the Uwharrie trip you don't go missing again for a few months.

Joe

#11 ·
Yeah seriously...I tend to do that dont I? haha

Chris

#12 ·
Yeah you even made it tot he last wrenching party and then to Uwharrie, and thn you dropped off the face of the earth till I PM'ed you about the next Uwharrie trip. :roll:

Oh well, good to see you back. Hope to see you rolling on a nice set of 33" mud terrains in NC.

Joe

#13 ·
Yeah Im working on a set of Cooper Durangos from Pepboys...plus getting my lights wired up. Heard anyhting good about the Coopers?

#14 ·
The STT is the tire of choice. Great off road and very good on. Real good wear for a mud tire as well.

Don't know anything about the Durangos.

Joe

#15 ·
Thats what my dad has on his Tundra, and he seems to like them since he also had them on his last truck too. pretty good highway wear, and good in the mud. not to go off subject but I have a Yakima rack system on my Trooper and i like it a lot, pretty versitial with all of the add on stuff you can git for them.

#16 ·
That rack on yours is sweet (TrooperChris), I want the exact same kind and i want some lights in front, tire up there like that and some lights for the back, (back up lights),. How is the rack mounted?

#17 ·
Thank you for the compliments about my trooper. The rack is mounted to the outside black strips that hold the stock roof rack bars. Most of the 1st gens have four of these "strips" Within each strip is a "slider" of sorts that can be screwed into. I have the Surco rack mounts that fit a 1988 Trooper screwed down into the holes on those "sliders". Does that make sense? It is extremely secure with those 8 bolts.

HTH

Chris

#18 ·
firefighterjohn2001 said:
That rack on yours is sweet (TrooperChris), I want the exact same kind and i want some lights in front, tire up there like that and some lights for the back, (back up lights),. How is the rack mounted?
I agree. I like it also. I have had my eye on it for awhile now, I seen it on independent4x.com. But like I stated earlier, I am getting my suspension first. Come on tax return. :D

#19 ·
Hey Chris, I had forgotten that Andre (starchild) put a set of Durangos on his Passport in a 33x12.50. I shot him a PM he should shoot you one in return. I told him you were looking for a real world opinion. He has wheeled them in Uwharrie the last trip and has been driving them on the raod since so I'd say he'll be a pretty good judge.

Joe

#20 ·
#21 ·
Thanks Joe! Im going to try and pull new tires by Uwharrie. Keep your fingers crossed. My BFG ATs still have some life to them I would sell them but Im not sure who would buy them with a nail in one of them...even though it is not leaking.

Chris

Dang, Tad those are some good looking Troopers!!

#24 ·
Hey Tad, your '88 looks almost identical to mine, except that I don't have the surco rack, bumpers, winch, and lift, but mine is the same year and color as yours! question, is yours an LS? anyway nice looking fleet of Troopers you got there.

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.