Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it'd be really cool if the zoo had its own off. Road racing team. I don't think I can race simply because I'm not old enough. But it would be cool to see if we could get a race team together to tackle something like say the baja 1000 or something else.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
we have 2 in ECORS

Darlington Off-Road racing (Joe Darlington and company)

and Team Turtle (Bansil and company)

There have been roomers of a Tits Racing team (Brendan, Ruination on here) but who knows if he will race :lol:

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
95Rodeo4x4 said:
we have 2 in ECORS

There have been roomers of a Tits Racing team (Brendan, Ruination on here) but who knows if he will race :lol:
88Bronzetrooper and I help Joe D's team... I mentioned that there's a possibility of running another Darlington rig with another guy that's not on here, but it's Still Darlington Offroad's truck.. not mine..

I'll know closer to July if I'll be doing that or not. :twisted:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Ruination said:
95Rodeo4x4 said:
we have 2 in ECORS

88Bronzetrooper and I help Joe D's team... I mentioned that there's a possibility of running another Darlington rig with another guy that's not on here, but it's Still Darlington Offroad's truck.. not mine..

put your signature above the door as Brandon "Tits" McC

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I check it out.

If I get my isuzu ready for it Anyone want to race the baja with me?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
95Rodeo4x4 said:
Ruination said:
95Rodeo4x4 said:
we have 2 in ECORS

put your signature above the door as Brandon "Tits" McC
Where did this "Tits" come from? Name's not Brandon either..

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Ruination said:
95Rodeo4x4 said:
Ruination said:
95Rodeo4x4 said:
we have 2 in ECORS

put your signature above the door as Brendan "Tits" McC
Where did this "Tits" come from? Name's not Brandon either..
:x i was thinking Brandon because he said if we sad tits you would show up. My bad. and Tits because you love them, and usually if we type it on the IW FB chat you show up :lol:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you get the sponsership money together, I'll race baja with you. I might even come help you build the truck, and finally put this ME degree to use. Might want to start out small and do some shorter races first though. Here's some inspiration for you...

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
jessescott said:
Ruination said:
Name's not Brandon either..
I know it's Brendan, but this reminds me of something.:

NATM2 - "It's Brunden"
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah my ex wouldnt leave me alone about that when we saw that movie... I always correct people on my name.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hatfield said:
If you get the sponsership money together, I'll race baja with you. I might even come help you build the truck, and finally put this ME degree to use. Might want to start out small and do some shorter races first though. Here's some inspiration for you...
Thanks. Ill let you know when I get ready to start building it.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I kind of like the look of the red bumper on the front of those troopers. Kind of makes me want to paint my bumpers with the rest of the truck..

If I did Baja... it'd be in a Mitsu. :twisted: But only because they are proven Baja cruisers. :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright. Since I kind of sort of have a team mate. What vehicle should we use. A pup or trooper or rodeo or amigo or an almighty vx (if I can find a random 15-20k laying around)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
mikeydub said:
Alright. Since I kind of sort of have a team mate. What vehicle should we use. A pup or trooper or rodeo or amigo or an almighty vx (if I can find a random 15-20k laying around)
Use a Rodeo or an Amigo; a second gen Trooper would be too heavy and have a higher center of gravity. If it's a second gen Rodeo, you could find a newer one w/ the DI 3.5 (most horsepower). The first gen Troopers do have a history of being good in baja racing, but those older engines are a little slow. You'll end up pissing off the VX crowd if you race a VX, since the VehiCross is considered a rare vehicle. But, you could be like marlin on here who off-roads his and doesn't care what the VX crowd thinks.

What are the rules in baja racing? Do you have to stick w/ a stock engine?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I can find a rodeo cheap around here. But I like the 1st Gen
troopers. That's what I drive. How much work do they need done to
them to race though? And could it still be street and race legal?
And ill race a vx if I want to. No matter how rare.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The first gen Trooper is a classic baja proven vehicle. Not sure how it would stand against modern vehicles though.

Get a second gen Rodeo and if it doesn't have the 3.5, build the 3.2 into a 3.5 (since the 3.5 is really just a modified version of the 3.2). Alpine makes a supercharger for that engine, if you can still find a kit, but it's a little pricey at over $3k. Not sure what the rules of baja racing are, though, so I don't know how much you can modify the engine.

On any of these, you'll want to beef up the suspension. I'd look into what Joe Darlington, Ditchdoc, and Bansil have done w/ their Isuzu race rigs for the ECORS races.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright thanks. And on a side note about the vx. Why would
Isuzu build such an amazing vehicle and want people to
Make it a street queen? That's like saying a ferrari enzo is
For street use only. But Idk that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
mikeydub said:
Alright thanks. And on a side note about the vx. Why would
Isuzu build such an amazing vehicle and want people to
Make it a street queen? That's like saying a ferrari enzo is
For street use only. But Idk that's just my opinion.
Oh, I'm sure that the VX could be built into a very capable rally / baja vehicle (It has the same chassis and drivetrain as an RS Trooper, btw). It's not really Isuzu that wants people to keep it a street queen; I was just saying that much of the crowd that is really into the VehiCross gets a little upset when people bust them up too much, because there weren't very many made. There are several that off-road their VehiCross vehicles, though, and you have the right attitude to not care what others think.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
You need a whole team to race baja, including prob a chase vehicle, mechanic, pit crew, and so on. Most of those trucks cost tons of money, especially if you have to fab everything up like you would with a Zu. You could run one of the stock mini truck classes or 7s, but I've heard they cost only a little less than building a 7 class truck since you are breaking stuff constantly. Plus with 7 you get into all the good stuff like long travel fronts, C/Os, and longer leafs or 3 link rears. Class 7s is 3L and under, 7 is original engine regardless of displacement. I don't think any of the 7 classes allow s/c. Here are some 7s rules I found, might be old though...

"Class 7S - Stock production - Mini pickups. Definition - Vehicles built from a 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive mini or mid-sized pickup having a maximum stock wheelbase of 127". Engine maximum size must not exceed 3000cc. Vehicle must have been series produced in quantities of at least 5000 units within a 12 month period and be readily available to the gerneal public in the U.S.A. Vehicle must be marketed as mini or mid-sized pickups. Note: Class 7S and Class 7SX may be combined after a one year review of entries.

Suspension components:

Spindles may be of any manufacturer and may be reinforced. Front and rear suspension must be of the same manufacture, shape, size and configuration as originally produced and installed on the chassis to which it is mounted. All suspension components except shock absorbers and rear leaf springs will remain in the original stock locations and original stock mounting methods maintatained. All components will be original manufacturers design with the exception of the shock absorbers.
A-arms, I-beams, and front axles must remain stock as delivered on the chassis to which it is mounted. Parts may be strengthened by adding material but must remain stock shape, size and configuration as delivered from the manufacturer. Stock pivot point locations must be retained. Mounting points may be strengthened. Ball joints may be of any manufacturer. Front springs must remain in stock locations and retain original stock concept (leaf, coil, torsion). Rates and capacities of springs are open.
Rear springs may be lengthened to equal that of the longest stock production rear leaf spring as delivered by the manufacturer on a mini or mid-sized pickup. As of now the legal maximum length is 57.5". If a manufacturer produces a longer spring than the one that is delivered on your vehicle you may increase your spring length to the same as that spring as long as they are mounted in the original stock manner (under frame, side of frame) and frame is not modified. Spring may be mounted above or below axle. Rates and capacities of springs open. Two single point anti-wrap up bars may be used on the rear differential. Stock front and rear track width must be retained +/- 2". Stock sway bars may be removed. All suspension components must be retained except for those allowed to be removed above. Front wheel travel limited to 12 inches."
I highly doubt I'll be able to race due to the logistics, but I would love to run Baja someday. I think a 1st gen amigo would be a great choice for a 7s build, or go all out and build a 7 VX or Trooper.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.