Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im Dustin, and I might be buying a 1993 Isuzu Trooper automatic 4x4 with 266,000 miles soon. Since Ive never owned one before I was wondering what kind of oil pressure should it be showing on the guage at idle? The reason I ask is that the one I test drove yesterday did have a slight oil leak underneath, the oil guage was showing around 20-30 lbs during idle. It did go to about midrange while driving though. I didnt hear any valve clatter or ticking. Is this normal? Depending on what seals I find leaking, how hard is it usually to repair this engine?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The pressure might be as low as 5 at hot idle. What you are really looking for is hot oil pressure under load. So warm it up (drive it for 5 mins) and then while driving (say accelerating in 2nd gear) look at the gauge. It should be somewhere around 25+ The "Old School" rule of thumb is 10psi per 1000 rpm, so 20psi at 2000rpm, 30psi at 3000rpm although there is an upper limit to that.

-Tad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks. The oil flucuations Ive seen on the guage then would be about normal. I just wanted to make sure due to the fact of the leak and such.

Are problems on these engines in general a do-it-yourself thing, or does it require going to a shop?

Thanks

Dustin

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
The shadetree can do most of what needs done as long as you are mechanically inclined and don't care to get your hands dirty.

Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.